electrical backfeed

Sponsored Links
same as water does.

electricty will always take the shortest route it can.

say you have a stat operating a pump.

if stat is open, if you measure across the terminals you will get 230v ac

although the stat switches the live, the neutral you read (with meter) is backfeeding through the pump.

in some instances the back feed can be enough to operate something that should not be operating

yea sort of makes a bit more sense. so the neutral becomes the live? is this through a wiring faullt, say the wire is damaged? has anyone got a line diagram.

If neutral is connection is live, it means the neutral connection is broken or not there.

Sponsored Links
plumber (new blood) said:
yea sort of makes a bit more sense. so the neutral becomes the live? is this through a wiring faullt, say the wire is damaged? has anyone got a line diagram.

I suggest you read my post again and draw it on paper. No wiring error or damage

Another example is when some one thinks ther is Live an neutral at a swith and connects a 2nd light across the switch, both lamps come on at half brightness, becuse the 2nd lamp is being back fed from the first. in effect both lamps are in series, which IS a wiring error
================================
DP, your statement is not always true.

as i said,pump operated by stat when stat open you will get 230 across stat

You can get back feed from system controls and have to fit relays to prevent it.

if you posted what the problem was.

who you calling a lemon, doitall, you said in your msg `if you posted what the problem was` it did post that in my posting named `Technical helplines........ come on keep up.

plumber (new blood) said:
who you calling a lemon, doitall, you said in your msg `if you posted what the problem was` it did post that in my posting named `Technical helplines........ come on keep up.

Wasn't aware I did :LOL:

I asked what problem.

If you mean the prog/stat :eek:

1. HW off
2. CH off
3. HW on
4. CH on

Cylinder stat
C. HW on.
1. Boiler, pump, orange.
2. HW off, grey

no doitall, thats no what i mean the potterton PTT2 is`nt` compatible with a ep 3000 potterton time switch, it causes back feed so potterton tech say,christ don`t` tell me terminal connection on programmers and stats hahaha that stuffs my bread and butter.

my point was that some of the poeple you get through to at these tech helplines don`t` know there ar**se from there elbow, like a few poeple on this forum really.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back