Electrical capping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have always used capping rather than putting the wire direct in the wall or in the cavity. I was advised that plaster makes the sheath on electrical wire deteriorate quick and that's why you put it in cappying and it's easier to rewire. We have a sand and lime mix in the 1920's house is capping necessary or have plastics moved on and it is ok to put in the wire in the cavity of the wall?

Sponsored Links
It is acceptable to clip the cable direct & use no capping. The capping is there only to protect the cable while plastering takes place.

It is not acceptable to use the cavity as a cable run.

Thanks my electrician when I mentioned it said it was ok to put in the wire in the cavity of the wall he will be corrected tomorrow and will be using capping!

Sponsored Links
Good idea to use conduit for ease of future changes. And if you specify metal conduit for switch drops, or BS 8436 cable, it removes the need to have RCDs where you'd rather not.

Please could someone confirm where the capping goes with lathe and plaster walls as the capping is deeper than the lathe and plaster which sits on wattle. Do you need to break through the first stage of the wattle and nail to the back of the the wattle as I understand that the cable can not sit in the cavity of the wall. How do you make good the space, piece of plaster board pinned to what??i

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back