Electrical oven fuse keeps blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some help please (electricity is a weak spot)

We have a Ef6400ss proline oven which has been working fine for over 2 years until last week, the Fan element blew leaving cold air flowing only.
I went brave and replaced the element with a brand new one, seemed easy enough. whilst the oven was in bits i plugged the oven in, lights came on and the oven works too (yer sorted) Not
when i assembled the tin covers and placed the oven back in the unit, now the little monkey keeps blowing the fuse. The time led comes on but as soon as the oven is switched on the fuse blows.
I dismantled the oven again and checked for loose wires etc but all seems ok. I tried a diffeernt plug socket which worked for approximately 3 seconds then blew (ahrrrrr) head banging against brick wall.

I've gone through 5 13amp fuses and my wife is moaning cause the kettle don't work etc (lol) I'm a bit dubious about the oven anyway because its
plugged into what appears to be a standard wall socket behind the oven
and the wires on the oven were a bit of a squeeze to get in the plug.

The oven is 2100 watt at 230 volt supply

Can anyone help please

Sponsored Links
as your oven is 2100 watts, it is perfectly acceptable to have it "plugged in" (in fact its quite common, its an electric hob that usually can not be plugged in)

as the fault appeared AFTER you fixed the first fault, it must be something you have done :cry:

I would take it apart (see how it works) and put it back again, it sounds like you have crushed / pierced the element insulation , or its connections, you may be lucky and have bent a connector that shorts out when you put the "linnings" back, in which case it may just want gently bending back

Thanks for the tip

I took the oven apart and carefully examined the back, it was the live wire connected to the element that was just touching the back plate.
I bent the clip slightly and that seemed to work.
However its not over yet, at the moment i'm cooking a chicken and i've only got the temp on 130 and its mega hot.

the light doesn't seem to be knocking itself off - its like its on full wack all the time.
Does this mean something else has blown.
and is it critical

ta

If the thermostat and controller are electronic, you may have blown them to hell and back when you blew it up before.

This is the very reason such repairs should not be done by DIYer's who have no experience of such kit. It is easy to kill someone if you get it wrong, in this case you and your good wife were lucky..you just blew the cr*p out of your oven!!

Sponsored Links
sounds like the oven switch / stat is not working

cookers are not my fotre, wait for 2nd opinion

FWL_Engineer said:
in this case you and your good wife were lucky..you just blew the cr*p out of your oven!!

The oven's element blew on its own acord, i didn't mess with it prior to that. All i have done is replaced the element. I know electric kills and i did take precautions. sometimes one must have ago himself specially if money is tight.

Sentiment understood, but in this case it seems your efforts may have been in vain.

jonifresh said:
Thanks for the tip

I took the oven apart and carefully examined the back, it was the live wire connected to the element that was just touching the back plate.
I bent the clip slightly and that seemed to work.
However its not over yet, at the moment i'm cooking a chicken and i've only got the temp on 130 and its mega hot.

the light doesn't seem to be knocking itself off - its like its on full wack all the time.Does this mean something else has blown.
and is it critical

ta
Have you reconnected as it was connected before?The stat may still be ok it may just be that you have the element connected to the live side of the stat and not the switched?

jonifresh said:
The oven's element blew on its own acord, i didn't mess with it prior to that. All i have done is replaced the element. I know electric kills and i did take precautions. sometimes one must have ago himself specially if money is tight.

The element may have blown the first time all by it's lonesome, but the second fault was created by you not putting the electrical connections back together correctly and safely, you freely admitted that in an earlier post, so I stand by by earlier comments. If you knew what you were doing, you would not have created the fault and put yourself and you family at risk.

Messing with electrical appliances is for engineers who know what they are doing, not amateurs trying to safe a few quid. I am sure you will not agree with me, but facts are facts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back