Electrical Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We have a newish house with fitted with a consumer unit. One side is protected by a 64Amp RCD and this has 3 x 16amp fuses feeding downstairs sockets, upstairs sockets and garage.

The problem is that if we plug anything in to any socket and switch it on the RCD trips. The individual fuses do not.

I have tried isolating all but one of the 16amp switches and pluging into each but no matter which I try the RCD trips.

I have checked all the connections in the unit and they are all fine.

Any ideas what I can check?

Cheers

Duxster

:mad:

Sponsored Links
Short of getting an RCD tester in order to verify if the RCD is itself faulty, I think you will have to go thro' the same process of elimination with each 16 amp circuit but actually physically disconnecting the cables from the consumer unit Nuetral & Earth terminals and see if it still trips

I assume you also meant MCB's rather that fuses

You say "newish house" I have a couple of questions.

Have you lived there since it was built or have you recently moved in?

if from new what has changed ANYTHING been done to the house?

is there ANYTHING that you plug in that works? (the pc for example)

If you find something that works try it in all the sockets.

I knew of the same as this with a toaster, it worked fine in the previous place, but when turned on the RCD tripped.

It turned out that the person who had fitted the plug to the toaster had got the Neutral and earth wires the wrong way round.

For anyone who wants to check it is as follows

bLue (left) bRown (right) the green/yellow strait up

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back