updating my homes electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My fuse board is the very old fashioned type witha 4 fuses,lights,sockets,immersion heater,and cooker point.How do I update to a modern consumer unit,what do I need and what is all this RCD units etc mean.Thanks.

Sponsored Links
If you replace your consumer unit then get a Split Load board whereby there are usually 5MCB's protcted by an RCD (sockets ,shower, cooker etc.)and 5MCB's protected by the main switch (lights, CH etc,...not normally RCD protected in order to prevent nuisance tripping)
The RCD (Residual Current Device) monitors the potential between the Live & Nuetral and will TRIP OUT in the event of any change in differece between them eg. an Earth fault or
more to the point .... a person touching the Live and the earthed metal work in the house
whereby the power will be terminated before they can be electrocuted!

A VERY RECOMMENDABLE device to have installed!

I assume you are asking this question in response to your question on 'Garage Electrics' that I answered. The 'Garage Consumer Unit' I referred to is a seperate unit that would be installed in the garage and not in the house, but you still need a seperate supply to it. If you do not have a spare fuse available it may well be worthwhile upgrading your main consumer unit to a larger one as mentioned rather than installing a single unit alongside it.

TLC usually have one on 1/2 price special which would give you ample capability for any future projects

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Special_Offers/index.html

PS. There is a good Technical section on their website which is worth a look at!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back