Electrical qulifications

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My son as recently passed his AM2 exam and has his NVQ qulifications and i was wondering whether he still needs part P, or is this coverd throuh his training, hes a little slow in up dateing me, and would appriciate any feed back. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Part P is a specific qualification costs around £800 -950 for the 1 week training and assessment. it is the Domestic Installer certificate. not sure what the AM2 course covers but wouldn't think it covers the requisite parts.

Part P is not a qualification or something you have/need....it is a part of the building regs

Your son's qualifications will be more than adequate to register with a self certification body such as NICEIC DI, etc

Sponsored Links
Part P is not a qualification or something you have/need....it is a part of the building regs

Your son's qualifications will be more than adequate to register with a self certification body such as NICEIC DI, etc

yes you are correct but as i said the the domestic installer qualification is specifically tailored to Part P.

yes i'm sure his quals will allow him to register but will it allow him to undertake Part P notifiable work?
and for the OP I have just read through what is involved for AM2 and it is more in depth than the Domestic Installer course but i would ring NICEIC or NAPIT to verify the situation
when you find the definative answer post it on here then we will all know the correct answer.

the "Domestic Installer" 5 day course is essentially "electrical installation for dummies".. it's a short course designed to give some basic knowledge to people who need it for their job, such as plumbers who put spurs in for the boilers or kitchen fitters who put in sockets etc...

to be part P registered requires membership in one of the many schemes available, involves work based assesments and an anual fee of several hundred pounds ( depends on the scheme provider ).

this is usesfull if he intends to work for himself and on domestic installations.
it has little use however if he will be working for a part-P registered company who will do the necesary notifications etc, or if he will be working mainly in the comercial / industrial sectors..

yes i'm sure his quals will allow him to register but will it allow him to undertake Part P notifiable work?
Ummm....

If he is able to register then of course he can carry out notifiable work - that's what being registered means.

Do you actually understand anything about Part P, notifiable work, and what a Competent Person scheme is?

yes you are correct but as i said the the domestic installer qualification is specifically tailored to Part P.

and for the OP I have just read through what is involved for AM2 and it is more in depth than the Domestic Installer course but i would ring NICEIC or NAPIT to verify the situation
when you find the definative answer post it on here then we will all know the correct answer.

If he has passed AM2 has NVQ3 what part of your brain thinks he would ever require a 5 day cowboy course? Have you even looked at the scam requirements even once?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back