Electrical sold without plug fitted

Sponsored Links
Read the wiki to see what he's talking about,

No thanks, at my age I leave household jobs to my kids and I don't interfere.
I come on here for advice not a lecture.

He meant read the Wiki to see what your neighbour was talking about. Even though he's time served there's a lot of stuff he's not allowed to do in a domestic property without paying £££ to one of the scams or the local council.

Thanks EngStudent. It sounds like advice when explained in that manner.

I'm off to pick the grandkids up now, so I'm not being ill mannered by not
responding to further comments.hanks to all for your help.
PM

One of the reasons I put the question up, was because a year or two back, EU/local councils/Health & Safety Exec., deemed it unsafe/illegal for a householder to fit plugs to electric appliances

No they didn't.

Years ago the law was changed to require appliances to be supplied with 13A plugs already fitted (exceptions as noted in the Regulations quoted) because:

- there were safety risks from poorly fitted plugs
- most houses by now had been rewired with 13A sockets so there was not the opposing safety risk of 13A fitted plugs being cut off and a 5A or 15A plug fitted instead.

A few years ago the then Government wanted to reduce electrical work being carried out on the informal economy and, lobbied by trade organisations serving their own interests, brought electrical wiring within the Building Regulations (it was already in the Building Standards in Scotland, which simply required compliance with IEE Regs or equivalent) but also brought in a registration/notification procedure to make it harder for people who hadn't paid money to the trade organisations to carry out wiring in houses. This was despite the Givernment's own Regulatory Impact Assessment showing that the legislation would have an adverse effect on safety and the number of electricity-related deaths in the home would (and did) rise.

This was not helped by some MP's family fitting a towel rail without checking for concealed cables first, then ignoring shocks from the towel rail, until someone died. Something Had To Be Done, and John Prescott did it because as Deputy Prime Minister he didn't actually have very much to do. Unfortunately (?) the electrical organisations had better lobbying abilities than the Amalgamated Guild of Towel Rail Fitters and so fitting towel rails wasn't brought within the legislation but electric wiring was.

Sponsored Links
Oh - you mean the one that did not involve a towel rail, did not involve people ignoring shocks, did not involve drilling into cables that were where they should be and did not have any bearing on the decision to introduce Part P (because the decision had already been made)?

Oh - you mean the one that did not involve a towel rail, did not involve people ignoring shocks, did not involve drilling into cables that were where they should be and did not have any bearing on the decision to introduce Part P (because the decision had already been made)?

Exactly.

Does it possibly explain the bizarre status of a kitchen as a "special location"? Or does it post date that decision too?

1) The consultation document for Part P was issued in May 2002.

2) The results of the consultation were published in September 2002.

3) The first Part P amendment to the Building Regulations was made on 13th July 2004, and laid before Parliament on 22nd of July 2004.

4) Mary Wherry, Jenny Tonge's daughter, was killed on 31st July 2004.

Why do you think that Part P classes kitchens along with bathrooms even though the Wiring Regulations don't?

Yes I wondered that so I asked someone that was involved. You are right to assert that they wanted to encompass kitchen fitters, etc. However, the kitchen was apparently a last minute inclusion because the fledgling scheme providers (FSPs) had forgotten it :D.

The story goes something like - FSPs to JP (John Prescott) - "Here John we forgot kitchens and we need to include them so that we can control the kitchen fitters". JP - (irritated because this is yet another last minute modification) "alright kitchens are in, but that is the last change."

Sometime later the FSPs realise that they have also forgotten utility rooms, and that these are very like kitchens. "Here John what about utility rooms." JP - "have you seen my big clunking fist" :D

I did ask what attribute of a kitchen separated it from a utility room - the answer being that food is prepared in a kitchen :D. This opens up all sorts of possible loop holes :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back