Electrical supply for 9kW Electric flow boiler

We have a bedroom with an outside wall and a living room. Neither are really suitable. As I say we don't suffer too much - there is not a great demand on the boiler.

I understand where you are coming from if talking about a house with radiators but this is a very small flat, well insulated with underfloor heating in the living room, bedroom and bathroom.

We are not getting an electric because we want it - it is the only feasible option.

Sponsored Links
why not ask an estate agent how much it will knock off the resale value ??
i suspect it will be greater than making the gas compatable
it will be the cost off removing the electric plus the cost off doing it properly

the first question you are going to be asked is "how much was your electric bill last year

and remember with the recession. kicking in you need the minimum number off issues to put buyers off :eek: :cry:

Is the underfloor heating wet and fed from the keston boiler ? And will the electric boiler be supplying hot water to the underfloor heating ?

Sponsored Links
it will be the cost off removing the electric plus the cost off doing it properly

the first question you are going to be asked is "how much was your electric bill last year

and remember with the recession. kicking in you need the minimum number off issues to put buyers off :eek: :cry:

We spend £40 on electric a month and gas is about £33. Gas might drop to about £10 for the hob I guess.

We spend £40 on electric a month and gas is about £33.

so next year your £33 will be £100 plus 40= £140 x12 so £1680 assuming your payments are accurate for your average use and no other gas used

But what option do we have?

I am seeing that am immersion heater could be good for the hot water - what is the running cost of these?

Need enough hot water for 20 mins of water in the morning plus the odd bit in the evening.

i am not trying to be negative just making sure you have thought about all the consequences and options

i would definitely ask an estate agent and get quotes for the ventilation option
not easy i know but the last thing you want is an un-sellable flat

i am not trying to be negative just making sure you have thought about all the consequences and options

i would definitely ask an estate agent and get quotes for the ventilation option
not easy i know but the last thing you want is an un-sellable flat

Yes, I know you all mean well and I appreciate the input. I will ask a couple of estate agents I know.
We have not decided on this blind - 2 engineers have come round and have agreed with our plan.

Have also asked someone who lives in a new build flat who also has an electric boiler waht his running costs and circumstances are - awaiting reply today.

You might get a bit of impartial advice from the building inspectors at the local council. They may even have dealt with a similar problem in a similar flat and have a gas fuelled solution for you. I think you may have to involve them in regards of closing off the flue and vents to the gas boiler.

With regards to an immersion heater costs:

We have no gas in our 1 bed flat. Heating is via three 2kW convection panel heaters and hot water is via a 3kW immersion (very well insulated). All electric hob and oven. Our usage has averaged 17kWh per day for the last 4 months, or £47 a month.

However, the cylinder is half-sized and too small to run a bath from, so a proper one might cost marginally more to run.

The heat loss of a small modern (post 2005) flat is in the order of 1.5kW. A 9kW boiler is oversized for this size of heating system. The OP should use an immersion heater for his hot water and not tag it onto an electric space heating boiler.

BA has forgotten that the OP uses gas for cooking; since he has no intention of swapping gas for electric cooking, his electrictiy costs will not increase by thrice his gas cost.

The cost of electric space heating is not so significant in a small flat as ccam108 has experienced. Nevertheless, the OP should not expect floorwarming to be as cheap to run as panel radiators.

Many thanks. Just need to see how I get on with booking an electrician to do the wiring now :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back