Electrical upgrade for shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
I hope someone can shed some light on this.
I was thinking of getting a powerful shower installed, but was told my electricity supply wouldnt support this and that I would have to get more in??????. I'm ashamed to admit I didnt query this as I felt daft eneough, what the hell did he mean by this and how would I go about getting this. Also would it cost much. Who do I contact.
I am in a city I dont understand what he was on about.( the next time I'll just highlight my ignorance and ask, but until then please someone help me).
puzzled and confused. :oops:
cheers

Sponsored Links
electric shower?

probably means the cable to the shower needs upgrading

Hi Thanks for your reply.
I think its a bit more than that though.
he mentioned something about my consumer box, which is ancient, and the voltage going through it not being eneough :confused:
thanks again.

If you can post a pic of showing your meter, the incoming supply and main fuse, the earth wires, and your consumer unit, we will probably be able to see the trouble.
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=73320

Do you live in a house or a flat?

Quite a lot of us are in England where the laws relating to electrical work are different, so we may not know how to identify a qualified person, but start asking around friends and neighbours to see if they can recommend a local electrician.

Sponsored Links
He probably means he has 60A fuses and current maximum demand is there or thereabouts without even contemplating an electric shower which is exempt from diversity (100% FLC).

Might also be an old Wylex standard with a 60A main switch; might be poor earthing, might be no spare ways in the CU, might be no RCD...

It'll be interesting to see photos (if that's possible)

Very true of the consumer unit but RCD?
There's no requirement for an RCD for a shower installation.

I agree though, a photo of the intake, especially anything written on the side of the main fuse, meter size (40A, 80A etc) and consumer unit would be a good starting point.

GaryMo said:
There's no requirement for an RCD for a shower installation.

Are you sure?

At college we were taught not to install a shower unless it was on its own circuit and protected with an rcd

Although there is no regulation that states showers should be on an RCD, most manufacturers insist on it and 99% of electricians would agree that it is good practice for them to be.

Always a Stigma around RCD and showers, But as post above if you cant beat em join em.... The price of 1way RCD Unit is now so cheap you may as well install one....

I always put showers on the RCD protected side of a split-load board but I never said it was against good practice not to do so, I said BS7671 didn't require showers to be RCD protected.

Hi

unable to download pictures but, the fuse box is a ottermill.
there is another box there called henley. 60/80A. 415V. BS88: 1967.

I stay in a flat, but it is only 1 up as it is a 4 in a block.

I hope this helps.

I'll continue to struggle to post the pictures.

cheers

I came, I saw, I brokedown screaming.
[/url]

GaryMo said:
He probably means he has 60A fuses and current maximum demand is there or thereabouts without even contemplating an electric shower which is exempt from diversity (100% FLC).

Although you can't apply diversity to the shower supply you can apply diversity to the overall installation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back