electrical work (Scotland)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am looking for some information

I currently under take small property repairs, pluming and minor electrical work

I am not a registered electrician,

I have been to collage and studied in electrical insulation

I am fully aware and studied the 17 the edition

I have worked supervised before, i am also competent in electrical work

When I do electrical work, where do I stand, do i have to issue a minor works certificate

Can i still do electrical work

Thanks for you help

Sponsored Links
Have you kept many of your COLLAGES of ELECTRICAL INSULATION :LOL:

Are you selling any?

I would have thought you would need to join a 'Competent Persons' scheme (if they have that in Scotland) which I would have thought they do

Most will want equivalent of 2330 level3, 17th Edition and 2391

Or you could do one of the 4 minute courses!!!

Sponsored Links
As far as im aware different councils/building control issue you with a test certificate, often a faded photocopied thing for you to fill out, although thats if building control get inbvolved.
I've done many rewires/alterations as homers, some with building control involved some without and to be honest i feel the system is very relaxed,at least compared with what I read on here with Part P.
I've never been asked to supply my qualifications although im not sure if they can check them as my name and address is on the test certificates.
Doesn't really answer your question, your best bet would probably be to phone your local council/building control and ask where you stand.

Have you kept many of your COLLAGES of ELECTRICAL INSULATION :LOL:

Are you selling any?

I would have thought you would need to join a 'Competent Persons' scheme (if they have that in Scotland) which I would have thought they do

Most will want equivalent of 2330 level3, 17th Edition and 2391

Or you could do one of the 4 minute courses!!!
you could buy some for your doggy crimps and wet plaster
how do you spell divesity

Hello

I am looking for some information

I currently under take small property repairs, pluming and minor electrical work

I am not a registered electrician,

I have been to collage and studied in electrical insulation

I am fully aware and studied the 17 the edition

I have worked supervised before, i am also competent in electrical work

When I do electrical work, where do I stand, do i have to issue a minor works certificate

Can i still do electrical work

Thanks for you help
hi higgie welcome to the forum i think big john
has answerd your question mate

Some works are supposed to have a building warrant http://www.sbsa.gov.uk/pdfs/Electrical Guidance for Verifiers 29Mar06.pdf

Some councils insist that a NICEIC/SELECT registered spark does the installation. (NICEIC and SELECT are the only registration options at the moment in Scotland :( ) Not so here in Glasgow where it appears anyone can sign the certificates. :confused: Most of the sparks around here do not appear to be registered (i guess there's no need)

If you don't need a warrant then i guess it might depend on the council but here there doesn't appear to be any requirement to issue certificates if a warrant is not required. But then if you're installing to 7671 then you need to do it anyway. As far as I can tell there is no requirement to do works to the level specified by the sbsa technical handbooks (scottish building regs) if a warrant is not needed for the work.

FWIW AFAIK they are bringing in home reports here very soon and I think it will mean all properties being sold/bought have to have a PIR.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back