Electrician asking for more money - is this reasonable?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have an electrician onsite performing some work. He initially quoted me three days to perform the work, believing that he would have to damage some of the ceiling to complete the project successfully (installing downlights). He also agreed to perform some additional work (installing speaker cables) for additional cost (£50) - no mention of time frame on this.

Now he says that the project will take longer than the originally quoted three days, and just because of this the price will increase by £100, on top of the amount already quoted.

I'm not sure I see a reason for this increase - no additional work has been specified beyond what I've mentioned above, and I think if he can't complete it quicker then this 'risk' should be borne by him.

Is this unreasonable?

Sponsored Links
If it was a quote and the work hasn't changed, its not your problem.

If it was an estimate then he can ask for more, but I would scrutinise why the work has taken longer. There could be a good reason that couldn't have been predicted.

If it was a quote and the work hasn't changed, its not your problem. ...
... provided that the quote didn't contain any caveats (as most sensible quote would!) about 'unforeseen and unpredictable complications' etc.

As you say, the crucial question, at least in terms of 'reasonableness' (whatever the contract may say) is probably whether there have been any 'unpredictable complications', or whether the electrician is just 'trying it on' (or slow!).

Kind Regards, John

The quote consisted of an email only with the price - not itemised/professional, but I thought it was acceptable.

The work hasn't changed - in fact, it's become less complicated as he originally thought he'd have to cut channels through the ceiling beams to chase the cables for the lights.

I've asked him for a breakdown of the increase and then will discuss with him.

Sponsored Links
I've asked him for a breakdown of the increase and then will discuss with him.
That's probably about all you can do - and then you'll just have to make a judgement as to whether he argument/explanation/justification is 'reasonable' or not.

If you don't think it's reasonable, and if he didn't include any 'caveats' in his original quote (and no problem it being in an e-mail, even a verbal contract is legally acceptable, and binding - provided one can 'prove' what was said and agreed!), then he really ought to complete the work for the price he quoted.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back