Electrician's and the recession

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is there still plenty of work out there for electricians? Are you starting to notice a decline in work.

The wife mentioned maybe I go to night school to learn a proper trade!! Currently work in IT (programmer) although I have always liked the 'fixing' jobs. I have said numerous times "if only I could do back 20 years" I would have chosen a different career path.

I enjoy electrics, read most posts on hear to try and learn something new.

Is it too late for a mid 30's computer programmer to change his career path?

Sponsored Links
My last apprentice was 36 when he started his career in the electrical contracting industry :)

One of the best I've had. I would think many employers would prefer an older apprentice, as at least you can do basic things like get up in a morning, compose a sentence and write without resorting to txt spk.

I heard with all these buildings having computerised panels controlling everything, that servicing them is a good field to get into.

So to tap into this, as I have just been made redundant... is moving into "electrician" likely to be a good move at 43?

Sponsored Links
When I was at college doing the old C&G2360 we had a bloke who was on a career change & he was 52.

Hey comms, it could have been me. How long ago was that?

I don't suppose it was at Bracknell College with Alan Cook and his merry men??

I was 49 when decided to re-train as an Electrician after redundancy. Love every minute of it although 'minutes' is about the about of work I am getting on a weekly basis.

I am now very busy (steady until a few weeks ago and now very busy).

I am thinking of taking someone on, but am worried incase this is a 'flash in the pan' as it were.

Hey comms, it could have been me. How long ago was that?

I don't suppose it was at Bracknell College with Alan Cook and his merry men??

No it was at Newbury back in 2001.
I did my C&G2391 at Bracknell though 2004. Can't remember the lecturers name but it might have been Brian Moss

So whats it likely to cost to setup as this?

Training from scratch?
tooling up with test equipment etc?

There's a very big difference in the training requirements for an "electrician" and a "domestic electrical installer" and you need to work out which route you go down. The first takes years as I understand it, with college and placement work. The latter is a series of short courses that take about a month in total. As you can see from that there is a massive difference in the two titles.

Until the end of 2007 I was a contract programmer in the City. I took a couple of months off between contracts and found the market had died on me while I was away. I'd wanted out anyway, twenty years behind a desk was just too much, but had no Plan B as such. Middle of last year, after a certain amount of fruitless searching for new contracts, I gave up and decided to retrain as a DEI. Took the courses, got tooled up, got some useful apprentice type work with a friend, registered with NICEIC, got assessed and am now doing domestic work. I'm 41.

Can't say I'm overwhelmed with business but it's growing slowly. Everyday is a learning experience but the books and sites like this are a great help.

Total outlay, including training, tools, van, insurance, registration, marketing (parish mags, yell.com, business cards for shop windows etc) is probably in the region of £15k. I've got a two year business plan by which time I hope to be able to choose my work rather than take everything that comes my way. In this market I may have to revisit the timescales. So far, I'm still eating into savings.

I've got a couple of good jobs on the go at the moment which will mean Jan/Feb 2009 will actually return a profit. Some small things lined up for March. Without savings, and an understsanding wife, I couldn't afford it. The odd garden light installation, or blown fuse do not cover the bills. You need substantial jobs with small bits to fill the gaps, not the other way round.

The jury's still out as to whether I enjoy it. There are times when it's great. There's a great sense of satisfaction at the end of a day's real work, not desk work. However, when you smack you thumb with a hammer, in the freezing rain, on a job that will just about pay for a round of beer, I question whether I'm doing the right thing. Time will tell.

I have been trading as a Domestic installer for 14 months now and am lucky if I get one job a week. I advertise in the Yellow Pages and local paper. I advertise 'no job too small' and charge extortionately low rates in the hope that these will lead to better things in the future. My partners patience (and money) is running out and yesterday, with a heavy heart, I started applying for office jobs so I can pay the bills. All that time, money and effort will have gone to waste.
I love the work, I have letters of endorsements from some of my few customers and plenty of call-backs, but changing lamp holders and light fittings won't pay the mortgage.
In the times I have no work I tag along with a local friendly electrician just to keep my eye in and gain extra experience, the guy is great but works more for the fun of it and can't afford to pay me (not that I want paying for it).
I even wrote to all the local housing associations and estate agencies (that do lettings) offering my services.

My questions are : Am I suffering in the hands of the recession? Is 14 months not long enough? Am I not doing enough to look for work?

Out of interest, to all the regulars on here who have plenty of work : Do you just do domestic repairs/rewires etc or is it necessary to get contracts or contacts with developers, builders etc to make a decent living?

I'm doing pretty well at the minute, and it does pain me to say it when there are so many fellow sparks who are not doing very well at all.

I've been in the game a while now and have built up a good customer base, which is nothing without a good skills base. I have a few plumbers on the books which if good for a couple of central heating wiring jobs a week plus and referals I get along the way.

I've just come to the end of a 2 month contract in the retirement sector, leading a small gang rewiring kitchens, I generally do the consumer units, thats been bread and butter stuff recently, doesn't pay very well, but my invoices are always paid in good time and it regular work.

I'm moving onto a very large project maintaining and rewiring where neccisary in a 140,000 square ft retail building in the centre of Brum, 80,000 sq ft retail space and 60,000 split between store rooms, offices and warehousing space. Its a job that grows in scale by the day but having cut my teeth in the commercial sector, its nice to go back to. This came about after having done a rewire for a neighbor in the summer, who has since gone on to a new job where he has responsibility for dealing with building contracts.

Recently I've been doing a lot of CCTV and lighting improvement works in local medical practices and pharmacys, which seems to be snowballing owing to the fact that the owners of such facilitys tend to either know each other or be nosing around checking out the competition and notice my company name on CCTV warning notices and the like, this work often ends up with 'little jobs' like replacing cracked sockets, PAT testing pir's and the like from time to time.

As you can see, I'm quite busy at the minute, a couple of posters have hinted that they may well be thinking of leaving the industry due to the lack of work, well, thats a choice that you have to weigh up for yourself, I can only give you a few 'tips from the top'.

1: Know your subject. dont worry about boring someones head off about the inner workings and the science behind electromagnetic induction when they mention that they don't know what a transformer does. It shows you know and care about your trade, 'Joe Sparks' might know what you can shove 230v AC into a little tranny, and get 12v DC out t'other end. You know better, show it.

2: Carry cards. This isn't exacty advertising, which I've always been proud to avoid, in the conventional sense, but if you don't already have some, get some, give them to anyone who will take one, give them more than one if they mention uncles, mates, other trades who might be interested in your services.

3: Get friendly with other tradespeople. Not just electricians, all trades, especially Plumbers and Plasterers are a great ally, they get their own jobs in and tend to get asked if they know a 'good sparky' and this, of course works both ways, so look after them too.

4: Diversify, Diversify, Diversify. Turn you hand to anything remotely electrical, who knows where it may lead. I'm not saying just have a bash at anything willy-nilly, with potentially very dangerous results or a load of expensive wrecked materials. Look what the competition doesn't do, learning up on central heating system wiring is a prime example, as most sparks won't touch it, its a bunch of switched lives, whats the problem? If someone asks if you can run some CAT 5 networking cable around their office, jump at it, don't get thinking such things are beneath you, it can turn out to be a nice little earner.

5: Tell you friends: To the point of teetering on the cliff edge of boring, makes sure your mates know what you do, especially if they are well connected people, let them know what you've been up to, tell them the wide things you are capable of, they may well know someone who needs your services, an oppotunity easily missed because your mate didn't realise you knew how to pipe a modulated sky TV signal around their house.

6: Think carefully about turning something down: Think carefully about turning something down, I did a job a couple of years ago putting in some downlights, lots and lots. Its was horrible, I hated every minute of it and made virtually nothing out of it. I've since done work for pretty much every member of his family, and his small shop in town. Thats probably made me something in the region of a five figure sum by now.
This sword cuts both ways however sometimes your stomach has a way of telling you that a job will turn into trouble, like non payment or a very difficult client who will end up trying to sue you after tripping over a pattern in the carpet while your working nearby, but thats an aquired skill!

7: Communicate: People will be much more forgiving and accept that if it can happen it will happen in the world of self employed construction work. Let people know if you will struggle to make it at your given appointment time, even if you're going to be 5 minutes late.

8: Plan: Don't book jobs too tightly, especially when working on big jobs, do 4 days a week on it, leave a 5th day free for little odds and ends that come up, if nothing does, then either have a day off, catch up on paperwork or find out from your big job client if they mind you coming in and working the 5th day on their job.

9: Look after people: doesn't matter if its your biggest regular client or the pimply faced youth who drives the van at the electrical wholesalers.

10: Pay up: Whilst it can be difficult sometimes, try to pay your bills, it makes for a better relationship, however, you have to be careful in choosing who and when, just because the multi-billion pound credit card company it sending nasty letters, does that mean joe-subby will struggle to feed his kids this week? Of course not, the credit card company won't go round telling all and sundry not to have any dealings with you, a bad reccomendation will always go miles further and carry more weight than the most beaming of good reccomendations.

First up, I'd just like to (once again!) set the record straight about 'domestic installers', many of whom like me, did our time at college followed by apprenticeship before setting up on our own. I consider myself an electrician - just a different type from a commercial/industrial/maintenance spark.
Of course there are 5 day wonders out there who've done the short courses.... but that's not all of us.

I just completed a PIR today on a domestic rewire undertaken by a commercial spark. Nightmare - not only had he reversed the tails into the meter :eek: , there were broken ring circuits, incorrect fuse sizes (2300 W oven on a 45A breaker, anyone?). He had no test equipment but I'm sure he'd be most upset if he wasn't called an electrician. In my view it's all about doing what you know. I wouldn't do industrial work for this very reason.

Anyway, to get back to the OP question - I think 14 months is too short really. I've been running my own business for 3 years, and don't pay for any advertising now - 80% of my work is word of mouth/recommendations and in this case it's unlikley the client will be getting other estimates. I win about 90% of what I quote for. I am not the cheapest (I think that sometimes this has the reverse effect - people don't trust you if you are too cheap!).

I generally only do domestic - mostly private clients, although some jobs with architects/builders although they can be more difficult to run - I like to be in control and get paid on time!

I also get work through plumbers/chippies/plasterers who recommend me to their clients - you need to get you face know around!

I do wonder if being a bird is actually helpful in times like these - although if you're a bloke a sex change is probably a bit on the extreme side just to get more work!

I guess my advice would be to work part time to get the £ in but still keep up a bit of electrical work.

Good luck!

SB

Clicksure - you beat me to it and in much better delivery!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back