Electrics for a party!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are having a party at home with a DJ. Is our home power supply sufficient to run a professional music system with 400w speakers, lighting and electric heaters? Do we need to consider other any equipment to ensure that nothing blows!
Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
no way off telling without more information
if you rule out any electric heating cooking water heating showers and tumble drying you are almost 100% safe
if your dj runs everything off 1 or 2 extensions then you will be safe as thats less than 25amps

ask him what he normally plugs in to the house supply and go by that suspect the actual consumption to be nearer 10 amps max without a heater

A lot of disco type lighting nowadays is LED so takes next to nothing.
Assuming an 800w Amp it isn't going to take that much electrical power wise, it will probably only need a single 13A plugtop.
Heaters are the devil here - what size and how many?

A lot of disco type lighting nowadays is LED so takes next to nothing.
Assuming an 800w Amp it isn't going to take that much electrical power wise, it will probably only need a single 13A plugtop.
Heaters are the devil here - what size and how many?

We're looking at hiring from someone like HSS hire, some retail heaters and/or electric patio heaters.

Sponsored Links
You need to know the power requirements for them, are they for a marquee or something?

Yep, a small marquee. And because we have such c**p weather, we need to hire some heaters. I'm just concerned that we'll be overloading the electric system. I suppose HSS would be able to advise wouldn't they?

HSS may be able to help, it may be worthwhile trying to get a friendly sparky involved if you decide to go electrical heating route, there a many factors including what type and size supply you have, what is the rating of the heating etc.
Have you considered asking for non-electrical heating to see how much they cost?

Briefly looked at it - I will investigate further. It may be an easier option mightn't it? I'll see what I can find out. Thanks very much for your advice though - much appreciated.

Places like HSS will hire out gas blowers for heating usually. Minimal electrical requirements for them - Just plug them in.

my experience of marquees on even damp overcast days is that the solar gain and lack of ventilation means they get quite warm quite quickly.

Any catering? Because cooking and refrigeration can have heavy current requirements too.

If the party is going to go on after dark then consider some battery operated lighting that will give immediate light in the event that the power supply does trip out.

Sudden darkness descending on people in a large tent with heaters creates some panic and a lot of hazards.

Thanks for all those tips. I will get on the case with HSS and see what they say.
Cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back