Electrics shocks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
For the last few days, I have been getting or giving small shocks when I touch metal, door handles, cats...

Anyone know what is is? Do I need one of them strips that people used to have on cars?

I used to get them quite often at work a while back and managed to give a few people a shock!!!

Sponsored Links
Are you wearing anything new or different, certain materials can build up static electricity and you'll walk round with a charge till you touch something that conducts which will then give you a shock.

Sponsored Links
How is the weather in your patt of the world? Cold and dry?

In winter, the air is often drier than average, so static electrical charges can build up in things and people that would leak away in a more humid atmosphere.

Its been, dry, wet and sleet today. Yesterday we had rain, that was when the cats got a shock. I think I get them more in the winter...

Anything I can do to get rid of it? Do I need "earthing"!!??

Turn heating down and put wet cloths (keep them damp) on the radiators.

What sort of floor do you have.
I get shocks when working in superdrug stores.
They have a sort of wood effect flooring.

Don't have a wife, as I am female!!!

I have carpets, tiles and wooden floorboards where the carpet hasn't been fitted. No laminate - hate the stuff.

Sometimes get a shock from the car too...

How about you just get an alternator, battery then start selling some of this back to the national grid

When I worked in Argos (they had a wood effect floor), I always got a shock from the metal of the mechanical combination lock on the door to the staff area.

Now I get shocks off roll cages when I've been unwrapping products wrapped in plastic on them, and my car when its dry and windy.

You need antistatic shoes

Click here for link to buy them

If you are not keen on the style in the link above put a drawing pin through your current shoes so that it "touches" your foot. You can file the point of the drawing pin down with a nail file to stop it pricking your foot. This will provide a sure way of eliminating the static build up causing your problems.

Hope this helps
Martin

PS I used to write to Viz comic a lot in my youth

Around 20 odd years ago, I used to work in a plastics factory. They bought a rather large re-grinding machine so plastic could be recycled and used again. The feed from this went into a large metal drum which became quite heavy when full. Some bright spark (no pun intended) had the great idea of putting this on a wooden board mounted on rubber wheels. The amount of static charge built up was tremendous. So much that if you went to move it the spark would jump almost 3" from the metal drum to your hand !!!
We had great fun catching out new employees, asking them to move it when it was nearly full.
Where as we used to earth it before going near the damn thing. :D :D :D

Every one seems to be answering a different question to that what was asked. (apart from me)

How can the OP solve the problem

Not

Please tell us all where you have enjoyed static electricity in your life the most.

Martin :)

martinxxxxxx";p="1518434 said:
Every one seems to be answering a different question to that what was asked. (apart from me)

Generally peoples experiences of such a problem would result in a solution at some point? Also she said she didn't know where the static was coming from?

Anti static shoes probably arn't the only solution......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back