Electro mechanical Stat Replace with Prog Digital

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening to all. I am trying to replace my old Drayton electro mechanical dial stat with a new digital programmable Philex stat but making little headway. The old stat had 5 connections as in the diag. The new stat only requires two connections. I have tried connecting yellow and each red wire in turn but the boiler is dead. The stat itself seems to be operating ok in that it monitors the room temp and tries to call for heat using it's own batteries. I'm wondering if I need to join the two reds together before connecting and then connect yellow ?? There seems to be two seperate cables feeding the old unit. One cable has blue yellow red wires plus earth the other cable has red and black wires plus earth. All help most gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
The old stat had 5 connections as in the diag

which diagram and are you sure it is a stat you are trying to replace and not a programmer (time clock)

matt

sorry diagram did not display when i first looked
need to know more about your system mate
do you have any zone valves etc as it looks as though the old stat is utilising the ch satisfied connection if so the the new stat will be no good as is

matt

Sponsored Links
Hi mate. Thanks for your interest. As far as I know I don't have any zone valves just (I assume) a fairly typical set up of condensing boiler, quite new, very old fashioned looking RANDALL 4033 mechanical style programmer for ch and hot water, hot water storage in tank in airing cupboard with cylinder thermostat strapped to side, three port motorised diverter valve, that's about it I think.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back