Elkay programmable switch not working after blown bulb

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have an elkay 790-2 that I use to control my porch light. I had a blown bulb last night which caused the fuse box to trip. I have replaced the bulb and reset the fuse but now the switch now no longer causes the light to switch on despite the controller thinking that it is switched on. When I took both bulbs out of the light I noticed that the controller backlight goes blank/dark but then goes back on when the bulbs are replaced but still doesn't cause the light to switch on. Anybody got any suggestions? Grateful for any help.

Thanks, malcolm

Sponsored Links
Thanks for tha. I should probably add that I got this switch installed last year, as my previous switch which was a differnet brand had exactly the same problem. I assumed it was the switch that was faulty by the electrician hinted that the switch was ok and it was a different issue to do with the wiring. I am at a bit of a loss on this short of getting an electirician out or replacing the light.

Switches other than simple mechanical ones, so dimmers, time switches, PIRs, electronic switches etc, can be damaged when a bulb blows because of the current surge when that happens.

When your bulb went the surge was high enough to trip the circuit breaker, so it's possible that your switch is now duff. With luck it will have a fuse which you can replace, with no luck you need a new switch.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for tha. I should probably add that I got this switch installed last year, as my previous switch which was a differnet brand had exactly the same problem. I assumed it was the switch that was faulty by the electrician hinted that the switch was ok and it was a different issue to do with the wiring. I am at a bit of a loss on this short of getting an electirician out or replacing the light.
Should be under warranty, either call the electrician or the company.

Hi, yeah, I think it is probably just out of warranty as it was installed last November :(

I am going to call Elkay today to see if they have any ideas. My gut feel is that the switch is still operating correctly - The functionality, menus,etc all works asa you would expect, the only problem is that when the switch is on no light comes on. When I took both bulbs out the light, the switch display wen blank, but came back on when the bulbs were replaced, almost like it needed the bulb in to complete the circuit. Is it possible that this has caused some kind of short circuit between the light and the switch? I vaguely remember the electrician saying something about the wiring the last time suggesting that it was that and not a faulty switch when I replaced the last one incorrectly assuming that it was faulty.

As much as I like the convenience and security aspect of a programmable switch I cant be getting and electrician out every time I blow a bulb so might have to go back to good old fashioned mechanical switch!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back