10 bulbs blown in 2 weeks - whats happening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ten or more bulbs have blown in the house in this short time, everything from the microwave, cooker hood, picture light, 4 halogen downlighters and 2 conventional light bulbs.

It is happening on turn on, flick the switch and bang, the RCD trips, when reset I find another bulb blown.

Can anyone help before I call out someone although I feel this inevitable

Sponsored Links
the rcd trips? I'd expect the MCB protecting that single circuit to trip, but not an RCD. The lighting circuit isn't normally on an RCD.

Sponsored Links
ashtons99 said:
Ten or more bulbs have blown in the house in this short time, everything from the microwave, cooker hood, picture light, 4 halogen downlighters and 2 conventional light bulbs.

It is happening on turn on, flick the switch and bang, the RCD trips, when reset I find another bulb blown.

Can anyone help before I call out someone although I feel this inevitable

Sounds like the incoming supply may be significantly over voltage. Only option is to get it checked. Ask the supply company to provide a voltage logger to prove their supply is OK.

Is there a particular time of day when this happens ? An industrial user on the same HV route shutting down equipment may cause the voltage on that HV route to rise before sub station tap changers compensate. (if they have them)

Bernard
Sharnbrook

Incidentally, if you fit CFLs (those energy-saving bulbs) they are more resisitant to voltage fluctuations, and do not trip MCBs when they fail.

Another cause of filament bulbs failing early is a poor connection giving a slight flicker.

JohnD said:
Another cause of filament bulbs failing early is a poor connection giving a slight flicker.
or old lightswitches...........

.....or cheap lamps

And in my experience lamps are the opposite to buses, they always go together :)

Can I put my Osram hat on again? Can I? Can I?

For those who don't know, me and Osram go together like John & RCBO's.... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back