elmdene psu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
HI all, I am trying to connect a additional sounder to my alarm system. i will give you a quick brief of my alarm system, I have a scantronic 9600 with 2 bells, 2 keypads,1 speech and text dialller,1 internal sounder, 4 pirs, 2 door contacts, 1 panic button, 1 smoke detector and 1 carbon monoxide detector. 9 zones in total. I also have a 12v 2 amp elmdene power supply.

So I would like to add an extra sounder to the system for the extra punch. I have bought a lyntech 120db horn which is extremely loud which you can hear a mile away, however on a current test this draws 1 amp according to meter. The sounders currently on the system are a prima 300 (front) and a prima 500 (back) these are fed by the 2 amp elmdene psu.

when I installed the sounders I checked the current draw for both sounders in alarm seperately. the prima 300 drew 535ma but bearing in mind this could of been because its onboard internal batteries were not fully charged. it could be less now as the batteries are fully charged I have not checked the current draw since, and finally the prima 500 draws 250ma.

So either way the additional horn will need to be powered by the elmdene psu.

The main control panel supplies the keypads, pirs, speech dialler, internal sounder,
and the bell, strobe and tamper relays (the relays draw 60ma each).

The elmdene 2 amp power supply (next to the panel) feeds the bellboxes.

The total current from the panel in alarm is 668ma and the total current from the power supply at a guess is 785ma, 1285ma if include the 500ma battery charging current.

so when I connect the horn the total current is going to reach 2285ma which will probably overload the power supply. 1785ma if I take away the 500ma charging current in which case the psu will be fine. there are 2 fuses on the psu one for the load and one for the battery.

so finally here comes the questions,
1. when calculating the total load on the psu should I include the charging current?
2. will I overload the power supply?
3. if the answer to question 2 is yes. should i power 1 sounder (prima 300) from the panel?. (the main panel is rated at 1250ma if i add the prima 300 to the panel the current will be more or less near the the max. while the panel will most probably handle it I do not want to push my luck.
4. should I upgrade the 2amp psu to 3amps.

thanks

Sponsored Links
very helpful thanks:rolleyes: ,can anyone sensible who is willing to help me please answer. thanks

very helpful thanks:rolleyes: ,can anyone sensible who is willing to help me please answer. thanks

I tend to agree. That old tat is bin fodder. Rip it out and stick in a Texecom Premier or a Galaxy G2-12.

Sponsored Links
for those of you who with nothing helpful to say do not bother to reply I will just ignore you. yes my system is old admittedly, but it is for my own house not a new install. I have looked after it and has worked great all these years and still works perfectly to this day. I have no intention to replace it as it is not broken. I am just after some additional noise. thanks

I've got to say, 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it', always seems to work for me.

Why update something that is working correctly for your needs?

dear bernardgreen as you seem to be one of very few people on this forum who actually offer helpful advice and not silly one liners, could you kindly offer me some advice on how to set my additional sounder up and give some understanding on my 2 amp elmdene power supply load and clarify if the 500ma battery charging current is included with the total load. please answer bernard sorry to be rude. thanks

I agree with you europlex I never get rid of anything until it breaks down completely and gets beyond repair. I bit old fashioned myself I prefer the older technology over today's modern rubbish. the scantronic 9600 will last a life time same with the old ideal classic boiler if looked after properly. anyone engineer who attempts to scam me for a replacement I just show them the door.

btw europlex the above post was not directed at you.

I bit old fashioned myself I prefer the older technology over today's modern rubbish. the scantronic 9600 will last a life time .
I replaced my scantronic 9600 for a knackered keypad among other things when I had an attempted break-in. The police wanted to tie my alarm going off with 2 youths that had been identified and arrested (on suspicion) running up the street, as the youths kept quiet under arrest I was asked to provide the time the alarm active to submit to QPS but I couldn't so it was just 'circumstantial' they where running on the same day as my alarm activated. At least a modern alarm has a proper timestamp.

I agree with you europlex I never get rid of anything until it breaks down completely and gets beyond repair. I bit old fashioned myself I prefer the older technology over today's modern rubbish. the scantronic 9600 will last a life time same with the old ideal classic boiler if looked after properly. anyone engineer who attempts to scam me for a replacement I just show them the door.

btw europlex the above post was not directed at you.
No the issue is you just whine on about adding this that and the other and how much current is available from your control panel, just power your extra prima and horn sounder off the power supply via a relay from the bell trip .... Why you need a 3 amp is beyond me !

The 9600 has ALWAYS had a time stamp, that is what the Log tells you, last 128 events, enough to cover your problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back