Elon overestimates.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Seriously what was he expecting. In a country where they take gullible to new extremes, a 'driverless' car is thrust upon a population that believe ingesting bleach can cure Covid.
Only one result, really.

Sponsored Links
Fake story. The same one has been doing the rounds in the USA. Same content - different names etc.
But, but, but....:rolleyes:

82BA4504-C06A-4A57-9F2B-D5C22416C709.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I'm sure we're all looking forward to level 5 autonomous cars. being a helpless passenger and watching the unfolding accident in slow motion. Still at least you can't be held responsible for the accident, assuming you survive.

Seriously what was he expecting. In a country where they take gullible to new extremes, a 'driverless' car is thrust upon a population that believe ingesting bleach can cure Covid.
Only one result, really.
Turns out it's rubbish.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY21FH007-preliminary-report.aspx

Apparently the steering wheel was damaged which meant there was a driver at the time of the crash, autopilot won't work on those roads as there's no lane markings and even the adaptive cruise control probably wasn't in use as it'd only have taken the car up to 30, which isn't enough speed to get that sort of damage.

Turns out it's rubbish.

https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Pages/HWY21FH007-preliminary-report.aspx

Apparently the steering wheel was damaged which meant there was a driver at the time of the crash, autopilot won't work on those roads as there's no lane markings and even the adaptive cruise control probably wasn't in use as it'd only have taken the car up to 30, which isn't enough speed to get that sort of damage.

I read it as there was a driver and a passenger. The driver had engaged cruise, but it had failed to engage the autosteer. My assumption from that, would be - he had got in and made an assumption that the car was in charge of the driving and sat back and let it get on with it. WRONG decision.

"This is an important time to stress that a lot of automated driver assistance systems continue to depend on the expectation of an attentive driver behind the wheel," Buttigieg said.

If the car is driving itself, I'm sure that any driver even the best ones would sit back and simply relax. It's unreasonable to expect a driver to pick the control of a vehicle with no pre-warning.

I read it as there was a driver and a passenger. The driver had engaged cruise, but it had failed to engage the autosteer. My assumption from that, would be - he had got in and made an assumption that the car was in charge of the driving and sat back and let it get on with it. WRONG decision.

"This is an important time to stress that a lot of automated driver assistance systems continue to depend on the expectation of an attentive driver behind the wheel," Buttigieg said.

If the car is driving itself, I'm sure that any driver even the best ones would sit back and simply relax. It's unreasonable to expect a driver to pick the control of a vehicle with no pre-warning.
If he'd done that apparently it'd have gone up to 30mph over that distance.Over a longer distance it'd have stopped if he wasn't holding the steering wheel I believe, but this was over 200m.

A crash at 30 shouldn't do much damage to the vehicle. It seems more likely that it's another case of someone putting their foot down in a high performance vehicle and losing control.

This story seems relevant.

A couple days ago, a San Francisco man got himself arrested for driving around in a Tesla Model 3. Unlike most of us who would get pulled over for speeding (hey, it’s a fun car and it’s quick), Param Sharma got into trouble for turning on Autopilot and climbing into the back. The problem? He’s been doing this for months, had a run-in with law enforcement for this before, and started doing it again as soon as he got out of jail.

https://cleantechnica.com/2021/05/1...cement-isnt-taking-autopilot-abuse-seriously/

An example of someone misusing autopilot and it not being taken seriously enough.

Sponsored Links
Back