ELV transformer connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to this forum - any help appreciated.

I have inherited four 12V 50W downlighters connected to 1 210VA transformer. The transformer has given up the ghost but looks reasonably new. It has 3 secondary outputs but there is only one cable feeding the 4 fittings. Do the outputs need linking out or is it OK to feed all the fittings from just one of the outputs?

Many thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the prompt response :)

If they are all working - do they need linking out?

Cheers

Oops - haven't made myself clear.

If I replace the transformer with a new one incorporating multiple outputs. Do the outputs need linking out?

tom0 said:
Thanks for the prompt response :)

If they are all working - do they need linking out?

Cheers

Oops - haven't made myself clear.

If I replace the transformer with a new one incorporating multiple outputs. Do the outputs need linking out?

depends on the output voltages

Sponsored Links
In the absence of instructions the safest thing to do would be to connect 1 light per output.

Internally you might have 1 power supply, with 4 sets of terminals for ease of connection, in which case it wouldn't matter if you used just 1 set, and it wouldn't matter if you linked them or not, or it might be 4 individual PSUs in a shared enclosure, in which case it would matter if you used just one of them for all the load, and connecting them together might not work. And would gain you nothing in terms of ease-of-wiring anyway.

If you find that 3 out of 4 are working, then my guess is that you've got 4 separate ones inside, and that one has failed because somebody wired all 4 lights to it, grossly overloading it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back