email scanning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How do you tell the Norton antivirus email scanner to damn well switch off and stay off? I've removed the ticks form the relevant boxes (under email options) and it still scans my emails. I'm having problems sending emails with attachments (only 1 -3MB) without the Symantec window telling me my email cannot be sent. Rather than waste time trying to configure some new rule I thought it would be easier to switch it off. I know, what was I thinking......

This Norton software came free for 6 months with the computer. I'm also loathe to renew the subscription because last time I did this years ago - it didn't stop the annoying popup telling me my subscription was overdue. It seemed impossible to get rid of it and impossible to talk to the company.

Cheers experts

Steve

Sponsored Links
I hate Norton. It buries itself into everything and when it screws up, it is difficult to repair or remove. My only recommendation would be to uninstall it and use something else. I change mine from time to time and try out new ones, which I then recommend (or not) to my clients. My current freebie recommendation is Avast, although they also do a retail version. It is just so well put together and has a nice interface.

I've been using avast for a while and it seems fine. I also didn't like Norton and didn't want to pay for renewal. The only problem I have with Avast is that it always talks to you to tell you it has updated, Is there any way to switch the sound off?

i bought F-secure AV from a shop (unsual for me)

its great and it removes norton when you install it

Sponsored Links
Seems like Norton will not be going through to the next round. Thanks for all your votes of no confidence.

Cheers

Steve

F****** Norton, it's worse than a B******* virus! I had the similar email scanning problems so had to turn it off but it keeps turning itself back on again, and I can't remove its link in Outlook Express. I have long since had to disable the Internet Security bit - it stops all access to any website includng its own.

Back