Embedding CH pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m wondering whether to install MLCP or copper to feed radiators. We could run copper along the skirting board but there are sections it would be best to hide the pipes altogether.

I’m happy using MLCP above ceiling where we can get at it if necessary but not sure about embedding it. I can’t do copper so there is an additional cost but is it best solution for embedded runs? I read MLCP has a 50yr life (p6 uponor price guide)

I can open a cavity in the wall and run the MLCP (or get a plumber to fit the copper). Can I just cement over the insulation (9mm cover over 12mm copper or 9mm pre-insulated 12mm MLCP) or should I use a plastic conduit? (or expanding foam then plastic conduit..)?

Sponsored Links
Personally I only like burying copper with soldered end feed fittings, BUT....

Hep2o pipe and pushfit fittings don't corrode as they are plastic, and can withstand greater pressures than copper, BUT... it needs to be installed correctly, inserts, full socket, fittings very very tight etc....

Just something to think about if you are unable to install copper pipe yourself.

And I would say cable trunking and plaster over is fine.

thanks. i think I'm going to try the MCLP, i can do it my self and its about 25-30% the cost of copper tubes at the moment. The basic pip without preinstallation is cheapest and I can put a foam cover on it. supplier suggested wrapping the foam with a metal tape so it can be detected later when I forget where it is and start drilling holes..

Expanding foam isnt expensive either and its quick, so I guess its MLCP + 9mm insulation (hot for small heat loss and cold for condensation) + metal rap + expanding foam + plaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back