Emporer Masonry - Base Coat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone,

I have a garden room I need to paint - for which I already have the paint - Little Greene Masonry, in Invisible Green!..

The render has had the paint scraped off as it was peeling in places. New windows and doors were fitted too. So.. I have repaired as best as possible, but the filler does stand out a bit. Obviously it's a totally different technique to fill on a rough render to an internal wall!

So.. Do I..

A.
Apply peel stop to stabilise the solution
Apply two coats of the chosen masonry
Accept it may look a bit 'rustic'

B.
Apply Peel Stop
Try this new Emporor base coat sfuff, which in my mind seems almost like a 'light skim'/icing a cake to hide uneven bits etc!
Apply chosen masonry paint

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the base coat - seems its pretty new. I know the masonry paint it's self is held in high regard. (found that out after we had ordered the little greene!)

Sponsored Links
Depending on what finish you would ideally want (and your abilities!), it *may* be worth considering the Toupret Skimcoat Exterior?
I’ve recently corrected some Reasonably poor original paint and render jobs with this, and ended up with a lovely smooth and contemporary finish (finished with Emperor paint which is what drew me to the post in the first place :) )

Interesting, I'm a big fan of Toupret products! Is that essentially like 'filling the whole wall' but say 1-2mm being the goal, and perhaps using a float instead of a filling knife?

I'd not trust myself with the front of my house or something, but I could probably give it a go!

The surface is quite sandy, sometimes filler (also Toupret!) is almost like rolling a turd in sand! So, thinking peel stop first, then this skim product.

I sense the Emporer idea may be more forgiving for someone who hasnt skimmed before!..But Tourpret is tried and tested.

I did wonder if it was worth slapping a cosy of masonry on there first to see if it does look pants or not! - I have 5l of it and a good chunk of the front is glass anyhow.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back