Emulsion that won't dry!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The previous owners of our house painted a line of gloss (about 1.5mm) on the plaster above the skirting boards presumably to achieve a good finish under wallpaper. I have painted the walls with brilliant white emulsion and the paint dries normally except where there is gloss on the wall. Even with a fan heater in the room the paint remains wet! Any solutions based on experience out there?

Sponsored Links
It can't stay wet forever, put your fan heater on to the paint and it'll dry in no time.

Sponsored Links
you have just painted the walls, so the room will be very humid while the emulsion dries.

Emusion paint is something like 95% water.

Leave it ventilated for a day, open the windows in the morning (fresh air dries paint, not heat)

by the time the windows have demisted or stopped running with condensation, it will be able to dry.

you have just painted the walls, so the room will be very humid while the emulsion dries.

Emusion paint is something like 95% water.

Leave it ventilated for a day, open the windows in the morning (fresh air dries paint, not heat)

by the time the windows have demisted or stopped running with condensation, it will be able to dry.

I agree that opening the windows is important but would also stress the need for heat.

At this time of the year the cold fresh air will enable the paint to reach touch dry but heat is needed for the furher curing process.

Most waterbased interior paints need about 10 degrees to cure properly. If the heaing has been left off the walls might well be colder than that.

I wiould go with the heater and open windows...

Time will be your friend on this one. as others have mentioned get some air circulating and just wait for it to dry. Also a fan of the help of heat. Doesn't have to be baking but certainly not so cold you can see your breath as it is now!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back