En-suite extractor fan question!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

Currently have a plastic pull cord operated extractor fan. Outside the en-suite in our bedroom we have a FCU which feeds the extractor fan and the shaver socket. The cable going to the fan looks to be live and neutral only, think the earth has been cut off or tied back somewhere. I want to replace the fan with a nice chrome one which works off a timer and comes on when the lights are switched on.

How would I need to re-wire the fan. Am i correct in saying that if a metal fitting is 'double earth' (or something) then it does not require an earth connection? Looks like I need a NEUTRAL, SWITCHED LIVE and a PERMANENT LIVE. Would the permanent live come from the FCU, the switched live from the lights? Where would the neutral come from?

Sponsored Links
you can take all 3 from the ceiling rose (usually) although it is possible to do it at the switch depending on the wiring method that was used.

have a look at our sample lighting wiring diagrams.

sketch or photograpoh the connections before you touch any wires, and mark or number every core. Black and Red have different meanings for different wires in lighting and you will get in a terrible muddle if you don't put every one back in exactly the right place.

you can take all 3 from the ceiling rose (usually) although it is possible to do it at the switch depending on the wiring method that was used.

have a look at our sample lighting wiring diagrams.

sketch or photograpoh the connections before you touch any wires, and mark or number every core. Black and Red have different meanings for different wires in lighting and you will get in a terrible muddle if you don't put every one back in exactly the right place.

Thanks for replying. So, permanent live would be taken from the 'loop' lives. Switched live from the switched live from the rose. Where would the neutral come from, the loop or the rose?

it will be at the rose. so will the switched live, or the lamp wouldn't work.

the permanent live will probably be looped in there too.

take all your connections from the same place, usually the rose but might be the switch.

Sponsored Links
I think you mean Double Insulated, look for this symbol:

doubleinsulatedfe9.jpg

then no earth connection is required, only if you see this symbol!

I think you mean Double Insulated, look for this symbol:

doubleinsulatedfe9.jpg

That's the one. Knew to look out for the two squares, just forgot the terminology. Thanks

CM2713.JPG

use one of these as well this will allow you to work on the fan without turning the lights off too as long as it's off :idea:

That's true, the earth would not be connected at the fan but you must provide an earth in the cable to the fan. You'll need 3 core and earth cable - ideal for the purpose!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back