Enclosed domestic cistern help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have recently moved into a house that has had a downstairs loo put in.

the ball cock working with the Armitage Shanks loo isn't fully closing so there is a constant trickle of water going into the pan.

As we are on a water meter I would like to fix/replace the unit so the water flow stops running properly.

Unfortunately the cistern is boxed into the wall by a couple of (mdf?) panels.
The top one has the handle mechanism in it which consists of a round plastic/chrome ring (approx. 7.5 cm Dia) in it on the right hand side in which there are two segments, the smaller one gives a short flush and the larger a longer flush.

I have tried to move the top panel up to get it off it's fittings but the round handle unit prevents me.
I cant move it down or sideways as there is no gap to allow this.
How would this round handle unit be fitted?
Do I have to unscrew it anticlockwise, prize it off or do something else.

I can't fully lift the panel up as a top "shelf" has been fitted and grouted into the surrounding tiles. This has a lip which stops the panels from sliding upwards.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks for looking,
Bern

Sponsored Links
Gassa,

Thank you for this.

I was worried that if I tried to unscrew this I might break those two push activated segments of the flush mechanism.

I will give it a go,

Bern

UPDATE
The panel hinged forward (like a cupboard door on it's side).
Behind it I found the pipe which joins the cistern to the bowl was leaking at the join with the cistern.
I've turned the water supply off via an inline valve.
I will start a new question as to what best to do next.

Your help is VERY appreciated as it looks like this has been leaking for some time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back