end filling a leaking presolder joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have changed a load of of piping today with loads of new joints but have suffered with one leaking when I turn the ch heating on. Its a 22mm tee joint - i thought I had held the blow torch on long enough as I could see solder but its leaked. I drained down the system and then tried to re-solder it adding some solder to the end after brushing on some flux - the solder has stuck but I cant see underneath as the pipe is in the void under a single floor board - has anyone got any tips? - I suppose I could rip up another floor board so I can clearly see the underneath and then try re-soldering - is there any tips for re-soldering pre soldered joints?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
And check there is no water left in the pipe, in any low points at the joints. Makes it difficult.

might just have to bite the bullet, cut it out and re do with new fittings, sometimes quicker than re soldering and draining down a few times :(

Sponsored Links
the problem is the water in the pipe. Once it's wet it will always generate steam which will get in the joint and prevent it soldering.

You might not believe me until you've tried a few. you can try holding the torch against the pipe until it boiled dry... doesn't work.

Stop wasting time and put a compression fitting on it.

If possible prize the pipe up so water runs away from joint and make sure nearest valve/tap is open so steam has somewhere to vent to

whats the easiest way to get the joint apart - heat it and then use pliers to prize apart or cut the joint off and start again?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back