Energy monitor clamp behavior!? (Looping live thru clamp)

Try only earthing the CPC of the cable that passes through the clamp at one end, but the other end in a separate connector block in the joint box

Sponsored Links
I don't get this obsession with the CPC.

1) Why does BAS think it needs to go via the loop?
2) As it isn't carrying any current, how can it affect the reading?

And, yes John, I know you already asked Q1...

That cpc, doubling back on itself & connected into the terminal block will create a 'shorted turn' at best it will be distorting the reading at worst it will be killing it.

Try only connecting one end to the mains cpc & terminating the other into a connector block.

The problem with the type of energy monitor that you have is that it only measures current and assumes voltage. Since it cant measure voltage it cant measure the power factor, so tends to assume 0.8

At best these 'meters' really measure VA (not Watts - it can't calculate Watts without knowing the power factor).

Sponsored Links
I don't get this obsession with the CPC.
1) Why does BAS think it needs to go via the loop? .... And, yes John, I know you already asked Q1...
I have indeed, and I still await an answer :)
2) As it isn't carrying any current, how can it affect the reading?
Adrian has given one answer to that - with the ends of the CPC loop joined, it's a shorted turn - which will probably mess up/destroy the sensing/reading, and may well have current flowing round and round it! Far better without the CPC connected or, as has been said, at least only connected at one end!

Kind Regards, John

I incorrectly assumed that it would see twice the current because the current was passed through it two times,
Once you get out of the sub-200W weeds, your results show that with 2 turns it's registering about half of the load.

Why do you hope that??
Because I'd like to see a cpc in that cable. Which, unless single core, should by virtue of best practice have unused cores connected to earth anyway.

It does appear a temporary install, and with a short lengths of flex like that, the two unused cores should easily pull out of the sheath to remove the need to earth any unused cores.

I would be more concerned at the lack of cord restraint personally. I would like to see a J501 joint box with integral cord clamps.

But hey, this looks temporary, and is far safer than doing it some other ways!

It does appear a temporary install, and with a short lengths of flex like that, the two unused cores should easily pull out of the sheath to remove the need to earth any unused cores.
They should - but does it really matter in this situation?
I would be more concerned at the lack of cord restraint personally. I would like to see a J501 joint box with integral cord clamps.
Agreed - that's a far more a reasonable concern.

Kind Regards, John

As has been mentioned having the earth through the sensor as a shorted loop ( ends joined in the JB ) will reduce the reading.

Pass only the live wire through the sensor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back