engine warning light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi guys, noticed before that my engine warning light is illuminated on my 2002 ford focus. any ideas what this could mean?
thanks

Sponsored Links
It could mean anything, you need to take it to a garage and have them read the fault code and if it isn't pending, reset the warning light.
Last time mine lit it was a leak caused by a missing cover on the butterfly valve on the air intake manifold, this caused the a "Cylinder 1 misfire" fault code to be written and the engine revs to remain high. All good stuff!!
A common one seen is an oxygen sensor AKA Lambda sensor.

thanks spark123. do i need to take it to a ford garage for the fault code to be read?

I'm not 100% sure on diesel fords of that sort of age, diesels from 2005 and petrols from 2001 onwards can be read by most garages.
I have one of these (albeit mine is a slightly different design) which plugs into a USB port on my laptop: http://www.gendan.co.uk/product_STN327.html

Sponsored Links
A ford garage will charge you an arm & a leg to read it & make a guess, a local independent garage will charge you a lot less to make a guess.
(the software generally only allows them to make a good guess not define exactly what it is).

It can be less expensive to replace a few of the common items like the lambda sensor first to try it. as Spark123 says, the Lambda sensor is one of the most common reasons & they can be obtained for quite little compared to the cost of the testing.

I have a feeling you may still need to have the car connected to a computer to have the MIL light reset tho :(

Back