Engineered Flooring Questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I'm going to lay an engineered wood floor soon and have a couple of questions.

I'm going to lay most of the downstairs and wondered if i need to put any expansion gaps in the floor itself using door thresholds or could I do one whole floor. The dimensions are roughly 7.5 meters by 3.5 meters (the 2 rooms and small hallway combined) Also does it matter which way the board run?

I'ts also being laid into floorboards. They are pretty level and are very sound. What type of underlay should I use?

When I'm fitting I know i need to leave an expansion gap of 10 mm but what about round a fireplace. Can i butt it right up against or leave a smaller gap or if I need to leave a 10mm gap how could I cover the gap (quadrant wouldn't work as it will end up higher then the granite hearth).

Sorry for all the questions!!

Sponsored Links
Seeing as nobody has answered

I have laid cheap laminate twice.
The gap can be covered by quadrant or better, remove the skirting and replace afterwards

Hearth - search for a lower profile ? Maybe an L shaped one used upside down ? Glued to the hearth and shimmed up off the floor?

Afaik you should continue through doorways- do some layouts to ensure that you don't end up with a problem

You normally lay flooring aroding to where the light falls

Sponsored Links
Best practise to split in the doorway to the hallway. As you can get a lot move heat in living room which can cause the to ares to expand at different rates.
You need 10mm gap on anything solid.
Around fireplace can you get a pic ?
Seen rope using on the gap before which looked ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back