Engineers ha ha

Similarly, I don't like the term "Engineer"...I fix the faults that were designed by engineers.

What do my customers call me?...Simple.. I am the heating god.

Until Summer then I magically turn in to the Air Conditioning God

I've never been one for over inflated titles ;)

Sponsored Links
I would hate to burst all the inflated egos on here,but how can you call yourselves "engineers".I cringe when i hear fellas say"heating engineer".I have seen how you become a real engineer,as my brother is a real engineer and is soon hoping to impress enough to make nasa offer him a job,so next time your about to say engineer,just say heating fitter or plumber,i have been in this game for 16 years and im still just a heating fitter,nothing more

what actual experience has your brother got then? by the sounds of it it's all just theoretical! i think if he got put into a actual engineering environment ya wouldn't see him for days as he be waiting for the long stand! a proper engineer has experience in the field he works and no's how 2use a spanner!

as for 16yr's in the trade and ya trying to manipulate a fan to go in the wrong boiler, what a f*cking idiot!

Is this not what the ignore button is for?

My ignore list is quite long now :LOL:

Sponsored Links
[ my brother is a real engineer and is soon hoping to impress enough to make nasa offer him a job

And hell still have to get someone in to fix his boiler.

I would hate to burst all the inflated egos on here,but how can you call yourselves "engineers".I cringe when i hear fellas say"heating engineer".I have seen how you become a real engineer,as my brother is a real engineer and is soon hoping to impress enough to make nasa offer him a job,so next time your about to say engineer,just say heating fitter or plumber,i have been in this game for 16 years and im still just a heating fitter,nothing more

The only inflated ego seems to be yours, though it's an inverted one as you seem to be proud of the fact that you are not an "engineer". You say that your brother is a "real engineer"; where is your evidence? The fact that Nasa might offer him a job is no proof; even Nasa employ cleaning engineers!

The problem is, no one has offered a definition of engineer. The dictionary is not very helpful either: "A person qualified in engineering"; "a person who maintains or controls an engine or machine." And "engineering" is: "the branch of science and technology concerned with the design, building and use of engines, machines and structures."

There seems to be a hierarchy of skills: fitters - technicians -engineers. The fitter has the skill to carry out certain tasks, e.g. welding, but does not necessarily know why the item he is welding has been manufactured the way it has. The technician may not even know how to weld, but he has a better knowledge of why the item has been made that way. The engineer is the person who actually designed the product and could produce his drawings and calculations and explain why he designed it that way and not another.

The contributors to this forum, apart from the DIYer, could be any one of these. You soon learn where they fit in by reading their contributions. A few are fitters, the majority are technicians, but very few are engineers.

I've got a Harrison Vertical Mill a Harrison L5 Lathe a greet big floor standing pillar drill that wouldn't look out of place in Fred Dibnar's shed, I design and build valve amplifiers with bottles that were used on Ark Royal for fun, and I can fix boilers.

Since I engineer things I'll call myself an engineer thanks and I don't care what you think.

Since I engineer things I'll call myself an engineer thanks and I don't care what you think.

Agreed.

I would hate to burst all the inflated egos on here,but how can you call yourselves "engineers"...

It is really quite acceptable to call someone who works on, for instance boilers, an engineer (assuming he is competant to do so), it is only a noun in this context. He is, after all engineering the thing when repairing it as described by the verb 'engineer'. This is, at least a better word to use than 'fiddle' for example.
'To engineer', therefore, really is just a more technical way of saying 'to fiddle' and anyone who thinks you need to go to university to be a fiddler is very much mistaken :eek:

'To engineer', therefore, really is just a more technical way of saying 'to fiddle' and anyone who thinks you need to go to university to be a fiddler is very much mistaken :eek:

Are you suggesting that all University Engineering courses are a waste of time :?: I presume not. It all depends on what you are fiddling with and the sort of fiddling being done.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

So, if Russell Watson likes to call himself an Opera Singer, even though he has never been in a Opera, just sung a few popular Arias from a few popular operas, who are we to judge?

I was being sarcastic old chap :D Trying to take the word in its literal sense.
So you could say that you 'engineered' something to fit when all you did was just made it fit.
Don't lose sight of the somewhat pointless original post on this thread ;) :)

Don't lose sight of the somewhat pointless original post on this thread ;) :)

Don't worry, I hadn't ;)

Though I am surprised that not many have added the OP to their ignore list. Maybe they live in the hope that, in one of his guises, he might come up with something worth saying. :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
Back