England Confides That Every Man Shall..........?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In twelve days time it will be the anniversary(202,nd) OF A DEFINITIVE
Chapter of British history. As an ex-naval serviceman I pose the question, who was the real hero of Trafalgar? Admiral Lord Nelson may well have his name and rememberance in Trafalgar Square; but what of
Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood, without whose actions we may have had a different understanding of the French language! Any Thoughts? Anyone!

Sponsored Links
Well he did (or his ship) fire the first shot & took command halfway through a battle not an easy thing to do.
So yes I suppose he along with many more through our armed forces have over time become forgotten heros.
A pongo agreing with a matlo will wonders never cease :p

In twelve days time it will be the anniversary(202,nd) OF A DEFINITIVE
Chapter of British history. As an ex-naval serviceman I pose the question, who was the real hero of Trafalgar? Admiral Lord Nelson may well have his name and rememberance in Trafalgar Square; but what of
Admiral Cuthbert Collingwood, without whose actions we may have had a different understanding of the French language! Any Thoughts? Anyone!

Not me!

Sponsored Links
without whose actions we may have had a different understanding of the French language!

We might also be driving on the wrong side - that is to say the right side - of the road.

The way I learnt it the Romans invented driving on the left for a perfectly good reason; the average chariot driver, being right handed, could swing his whip with less danger of taking pedestrians' heads off. :idea: :idea:

So why does the rest of continental Europe, including Italy, drive on the right? Answer: Because Napoleon made everybody drive on the right wherever he went. He had no good reason for doing so other than to show the natives who was boss. :evil:

History was not my best subject at school so if anybody wants to put me right please feel free. :) :)

England Confides That Every Man Shall......?
Not give a t*ss about who did what (according to whichever 'report' you read) - only the outcome was relevant!

The way I learnt it the Romans invented driving on the left for a perfectly good reason; the average chariot driver, being right handed, could swing his whip with less danger of taking pedestrians' heads off.

As I understood it, it was to keep their sword arm free for oncoming enemies if necessary..... :confused:

Sponsored Links
Back