Ensuite bathroom

woody now!
784943566_bce9c12b7c_m.jpg

Sponsored Links
Are the IEE regs enforceable as standalone legislation?

Or just a set of standards?

I don't know - thought they were meant to be enforceable due to the word "regulation", as with all building regs. Is this not the case?

Oh how the forum laughed at the metaphorical whimsical images
roflolk.gif

.... and then wondered if FMT knows anything about the subject?

Dextrous, check out what BS 7671:2008 is, and what the IEE actually say about their "regulations"

Oh how the forum laughed at the metaphorical whimsical images
roflolk.gif

.... and then wondered if FMT knows anything about the subject?

Dextrous, check out what BS 7671:2008 is, and what the IEE actually say about their "regulations"
Will do - thanks for a clear point of reference....
and the result is:
Footnote - "BS 7671, although not a legal requirement, is a set of golden rules for electrical installation work and encourages best practice amongst the profession. The regulations are extensively referred to in health and safety documentation and, after 30 June 2008, all installations in the UK will have to comply with them."

So, it's not a legal requirement, but they have to be complied with :confused: In my language, isn't that a contradiction?

Sponsored Links
And all BSs state in the frontispiece:

"Compliance with the requirements of British Standards does not necessarily confer immunity from prosecution".

You don't have to comply with any BSCoP, they are but one way of (trying to) ensure that whatever you're doing will end up safe and fit for purpose; if you don't follow slavishly, it would just make your defence in court that little bit more difficult.

At the end of the day if the OP does not know what they are doing when it comes to electrics then they should leave well alone. As our local building inspector says, a lot of the regs are common sense. They are there to help people protect themselves and others from injury or even death.
Even if you grasp and understand all this british standard b*lls*it it doesn't make a cock of difference if you are wiring up a fan and don't know brown from blue....

BS7671:2001 and BS7671:2008 in themselves are both Non-Statutory documents.
They can however be used in a court of law to aid in claiming compliance with a statutory document.

The building regulations are statutory. Complying with a recognised standard such as BS7671:2008 can go a long way to claiming compliance with P1 of the building regulations, however it will not comply with the notifications process.

Schedule 2B deals with work which isn't notifiable, if the work doesn't fall within the work described in 2B then to work within the law the work must be notified, either by means of an electrician who is a member of a competent person scheme doing it or the work being notified to the LABC in advance of it being started.

Work which can be regularised, or indeed where the Building Act makes allowance for relaxation of the Building Regulations, cannot be illegal in the first place.
Of course it can. If the law requires you to notify the work, and you don't do so, then you have broken the law.

AFAIK, there can't be a situation, in English law, where an unlawful act can be reversed by carrying out another act (ie regularisation) and then suddenly become lawful
There isn't and it doesn't.

It's quite possible to carry work out in a way that complies with all of the relevant requirements of Schedule 1 but not Part 5. The fact that there is a route to get work already done certified as compliant with the requirements of Schedule 1 does not mean that the offence of non-notification is wiped out.

Ban all sheds seems to get all his information from Google and loves to cut and paste.
Can you please show me what I've written here which I got from Google?

So in summary .... Ban all Sheds - make sure you actually know what you are on about.
I do know what I'm talking about.

Are you going to provide proof that I don't, or are you going to keep on just making groundless assertions that I don't?

Okay - but since this forum is about building regs

And think I need to put an extractor out through the exterior of the house to reduce damp - this would be the front, does that mean it needs approval in some way?)

If it falls within the zones of a bathroom (16th edn regs) it will need to be notified to the LABC under part p.
You also need to comply with the other building regs for the whole job.

Hmmm, new forum appeared while I was on me hols. :LOL:

Sound insulation is only required in any studs between a room with a w/c & another habitable room but you don’t need to insulate any partitioning walls built within the existing room the w/c serves. You will also need inspection of any new stack & connection to the existing foul drain & the BI will also inspect the new waste runs.

Forced ventilation & electrics & is already well covered I see :rolleyes: . You can DIY the electrics but you must notify before you start & your LABC may well not be interested or follow the rules (many don’t); they may just ask you to supply a BS 7671 for the electrics before they will issue a compliance certificate for the whole job.

Hmmm, new forum appeared while I was on me hols.

Been away myself over the weekend and not had chance to check up on my post .... 27 replies! :eek:
A lot can happen in a few days ;)

....but you don’t need to insulate any partitioning walls built within the existing room the w/c serves.
This would make life a bit easier.

You will also need inspection of any new stack & connection to the existing foul drain & the BI will also inspect the new waste runs.
The connection will feed into the existing soil stack, but don't think this will be trivial. Soil stack is in an internal cavity and I don't think will be easy to plumb in the toilet. Thinking I may the help of a pro.

You can DIY the electrics but you must notify before you start & your LABC may well not be interested or follow the rules (many don’t); they may just ask you to supply a BS 7671 for the electrics before they will issue a compliance certificate for the whole job.
I suspect I will get an electrician in to sort the electrics. Used a local NICEIC sparkie when I had the kitchen wired - he did a good job at a reasonable price & all certified etc.

Thanks for all the feedback to date guys.
Will definitely contact LABC and discuss it first.
Besides, this reminds me they still owe me a completion certificate from some earlier structural works! ;)

Is it illegal... ?

As far as I know it is not a criminal offence to not follow building regulations in your own property. What can happen and often does is that the person who did the work (or commissioned the the work to be done by others) will face an enforcement notice to remedy any errors, omissions or breaches of regulations. Complying with the enforcement order can be very expensive.

Failure to comply can lead to civil court action and failure to comply with the courts instructions can be even more expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back