Ensuite planning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I'm currently converting a 3 bed property into a 6 bed all ensuite hmo. Two are on the 1st floor which im raising from a single storey of an annexe.
(EXTENSION) above the annexe. 3 x which will be on 1st floor of main 3 bed house two of which will be part of the rear 2storey extension at the back and part of the extension to the 2 rear bedrooms the 5theensuite will be on the 1st floor at the front of the house and will be converting the small front bedroom into an ensuite. The 6th ensuite will be part of the new bedroom to the front of the ground floor. My question is do I need any planning for any of this? Just had my plans for the extensions passed today (after 6 months!!) but they do not incorporate the ensuites just 2 x separate bathrooms on 1st floor. I know I have to have building regs involved. But was also led to believe that I'd have to gave planning for the en suites if they were .... 1. In a listed building.( which its not) and here's my worry. ... as part of an extension. Can anyone tell me if I have to have a. New plans drawn and planning on them or just maybe new plans drawn for building regs purposes? OR neither?

Sponsored Links
you don't need specific planning permission for the ensuite but you would need building regs. also whether you need check planning permission for the change of use and licence for the HMO as they are hot on that nowadays.

You are in the chicken and egg planning situation of an uncompleted development. When you apply for planning for an extension, you are supposed to label the existing and proposed use of each room - including ensuites. So, it could be argued that you don't technically have planning for the ensuites. But, once an extension is complete, you do not need planning permission for internal alterations so there would be nothing stopping you from then converting the ensuites. But that doesn't kick in until the development is complete, so you are in the middle at this point. What is the risk? The risk is that the LPA visit and say that the development is not in accordance with the approved plans. What is the risk of that? Ordinarily the LPA probably wouldn't worry too much but (BUT) if they realise this is in order to convert to a 6 bed HMO, they might take a different view because, as already pointed out, the LPA might not be keen on the HMO.

PS. You do need to register a 6 bed HMO, so the LPA will know about it at some point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back