Ensuite - quality of products

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are re-doing our ensuite. New shower, quadrant shower tray and enclosure, basin and toilet etc. Plumber who came advised on the Twyford Geo range for the shower enclosure. For a 800mm tray and enclosure it would cost around £530. I have seen various others at almost half that price. I know the phrase "you get what you pay for" etc, but is the Twyford range really that much better quality?

Likewise with the basin and toilet.

Do you guys get frustrated etc when installing cheap products. Is there an obvious difference in quality?

Sponsored Links
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:
What do you think.
Why are they cheap?

DUhhh

Just because if costs more does not mean it is better quality! That's why I was asking the plumbers who install such items. Is there a massive difference in quality between the major brands and the less known brands (cheaper)

I have just finished an ensuite, bought all the fittings (bath, taps, shower mixer,bog, basin etc) from Plumbworld. Price was extremely competitive, quality excellent (the other half would have no other!) and their delivery and service could not be faulted.

I must admit I used B&Q for my kids ensuites 2/3 years ago and again had no problems, having read the forums for a few years I must have been lucky but I can only call it as it happened. Notwithstanding the constant attention of two twin teenagers they still look good and have had no operational problems.

Sponsored Links
Worth doing some reaearch - which your plumber would be able to tell you he's done if he's any good.
What's the glass thickness??
Can you get replacement seal strips for the shower doors?
How long's the guarantee?
etc etc
Bear in mind you can easily pay £2000 for a shower enclosure. Look at a couple to see what you get.

Some of the extra goes on quality control. Most of the cheap ones might be OK, but with a higher percentage of bad ones.

Ypu might not just risk the quality with a cheaper product.

I ordered a £199 screen online (along with some bathroom furniture) in November (delivery in 7 days). The furniture turned up damaged in January - the screen never showed and I finally got a refund in March.

Went to my local plumbing merchants and spent £325 - screen turned up next day, fitted with no problems, but I know that if I have a problem I can go back and talk to them about it.

B&Q Azure suite well worth a look. I bought one recently for £160 with the whatever % discount, (they've got 15% off again at moment). Bath is good quality in my opinion, pottery is made by Caradon Twyfords. W.C. has syphon flush and a conventional ballvalve, nice and easy to fix should it ever go wrong. My mate is looking at having the same now, he was quite impressed with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back