EPDM and pitched roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat roof that butts up against a tiled pitched roof. What is the best way to terminate the EPDM membrane ? I was initially thinking running it behind the bottom layer of tiles and then place the tiles over it, but I am not sure.

Sponsored Links
You need to finish your EPDM "on" or preferably "in"something. Either adhesively bound or rebated and sealed. A picture would really help

Regards

Tet

I have a flat roof that butts up against a tiled pitched roof. What is the best way to terminate the EPDM membrane ? I was initially thinking running it behind the bottom layer of tiles and then place the tiles over it, but I am not sure.
You need to construct a tray along with a cocking fillet kicker, that supports the bottom course of tiles.

ou need to finish your EPDM "on" or preferably "in"something. Either adhesively bound or rebated and sealed. A picture would really help

Regards

Picture attached.
roof_pitched.jpg

Sponsored Links
I did mine like this:

1692819514926.png

Ran some 9mm ply (Wish I'd used 11mm OSB) 200mm up the rafters,, ran the EDPM up to the top of this, then lay the bottom tiling batten on top with some lead spacers behind to allow water to run through, and refixed the slates

I did mine like this:

View attachment 311966

Ran some 9mm ply (Wish I'd used 11mm OSB) 200mm up the rafters,, ran the EDPM up to the top of this, then lay the bottom tiling batten on top with some lead spacers behind to allow water to run through, and refixed the slates

That's a nice schematic. Is there any reason why you used two pieces of EPDM joined? Would you recommend the OP use a single sheet if possible?

1692827678596.png

Also, this corner is the most likely weak point of the install. That looks much trickier to succesfully get under the tiles and flashing

Regards

Tet

There is no reason to use two separate pieces. Unless you are using up scraps

The drawing looks to be of a mechanically fixed single ply warm roof system .
The timber detailing could be copied , using the appropriate deck and lay board.
Then stick your one piece EPDM down .

That's a nice schematic. Is there any reason why you used two pieces of EPDM joined? Would you recommend the OP use a single sheet if possible?

View attachment 311977

Also, this corner is the most likely weak point of the install. That looks much trickier to succesfully get under the tiles and flashing

Regards

Tet
Sorry didn't spot the join! Mine was 1 piece. I over-ordered the width to ensure I had spare on all sides. However, I found that joining using the proper glue and sealant seems absolutely bulletproof.

From your pic, I'd look to lift the flashing to seal the EDPM under it tbh

(I'm no roofer, just a DIY roofer!)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back