equipotential zone

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is the attached garage of a dwelling within the equipotential zone? The garage holds the boiler and associated pipework. Obviously the boiler will require a supply. But i was wondering if a 10mm earth is required out to the pipework?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes. You could supplementary bond the boiler pipework together, but some say this is not necessary.

It is with in the equipotential zone if you want it to be!

Applying eq bonding as needed to service pipes etc in the garage. The boiler will not require bonding to form part of the eq zone, but the gas/oil feeding it obviously will.

Supplementary bonding = 4mm², main equipotential bonding (i.e. the main gas service & the main water service)= 10mm²

Sponsored Links
thanks guys,

But ive been told its good practice to run a 10mm earth to the boiler pipework if it is located outside the house, for example, in a small boiler house. Is this incorrect?

And will 4mm cross bonding the boiler pipework do for the attached garage?

thanks

Spark123 said:
main equipotential bonding (i.e. the main gas service & the main water service)= 10mm²
If it's PME don't some DNOs require 16mm², even if the tail size doesn't actually demand that?

Mackeral, you will not do any harm runnign a 10mm bond from the main Earth block to the boiler, and it will certainly bring the kit into the Equipotential zone of the main installation, however, if the garage is a physical part nof the main building and there are circuits in their fed from the house, then it can be deemed to be in the zone already, and the it would only mean that the pipes be cross bonded.

The call is yours really, you will certainly not introduce a hazard by adding a main and supplementary bond, but the cost may be questionable.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back