Eric Gill statue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Surprised it's not been posted already... did anybody manage to glance at the story of the damage caused to the statue of Eric Gill at the BBC? It's of course nowhere to be found on any of the front pages now.

For those who don't know Eric was a monster to his children, sister, dog and he documented the proceedings. I won't go into detail... Somebody felt the need to spend four hours up there smashing away at the statue of him. The timing of this is great because of the recent court case where the weak judge deemed the vandals of the Edward Colston statue 'innocent'. That set a huge precedent and I'll be watching any more updates on this very closely. How are they going to treat this case so closely after the Colston case?

Personally I feel the statue should go (peacefully after a discussion over it) because he was actively performing illegal activities. Colston wasn't and had tenuous links to something which (thankfully now) was economically normal at the time.

Sponsored Links
Surprised it's not been posted already... did anybody manage to glance at the story of the damage caused to the statue of Eric Gill at the BBC? It's of course nowhere to be found on any of the front pages now.

For those who don't know Eric was a monster to his children, sister, dog and he documented the proceedings. I won't go into detail... Somebody felt the need to spend four hours up there smashing away at the statue of him. The timing of this is great because of the recent court case where the weak judge deemed the vandals of the Edward Colston statue 'innocent'. That set a huge precedent and I'll be watching any more updates on this very closely. How are they going to treat this case so closely after the Colston case?

Personally I feel the statue should go (peacefully after a discussion over it) because he was actively performing illegal activities. Colston wasn't and had tenuous links to something which (thankfully now) was economically normal at the time.
Oh God!
Another resurrection of the same old arguments. yet again.

Was there another thread about Eric Giles?

I think it will be genuinely interesting now a legal precedent has been set.

Was there another thread about Eric Giles?
I think it will be genuinely interesting now a legal precedent has been set.

You know exactly what you have tried to do in a not- so-subtle fashion:
The timing of this is great because of the recent court case where the weak judge deemed the vandals of the Edward Colston statue 'innocent'. That set a huge precedent and I'll be watching any more updates on this very closely. How are they going to treat this case so closely after the Colston case?
You want to reopen the debate about the Colston statue when it's been done to death several times.
You even slipped in your own opinion of the judgement of the defendants.

Sponsored Links
Of course I slipped my opinion in, sorry I tend to do that! You know my opinion on it and again, I've stated that in a single sentence. You can either resurrect the argument or talk about the thread title -- up to you.

Seriously though, a precedent was set just days ago and I think the damage to this statue has been deliberately timed to coincide with that judgment. I think it'll be really interesting to see how the law deal with this. Is the damage is less than £5k it'll go to magistrates, but over that it'll go to the crown courts and the BBC really don't want that.

Of course I slipped my opinion in, sorry I tend to do that! You know my opinion on it and again, I've stated that in a single sentence. You can either resurrect the argument or talk about the thread title -- up to you.
It's evident what your real intention was. You were being disingenuous in the way you tried to resurrect it yet again.

Okay mate (y)
You'd already had your say many times over in the last thread about this issue:
Colston was fundamental in Bristol for improving the lives of the labouring poor, and it's criminal to tear down a statue of him because the radical, dangerous and militant left refuse to be civilised in their analysis of history.

Well this case does link to the Colston story, so I felt I was alright to 'have my say'.

Want to carry on resurrecting comments made in older threads or talk about Gill and what should happen to the statue?

I did see the news story but didn't really want to ressurect the colston thread :whistle:

The guy who did it obviously saw the news story and decided it was perfect timing to do what he did.

Did he manage to do much damage to it though? From the video looks like he gave it a few bashes and then gave up?

The guy who did it obviously saw the news story and decided it was perfect timing to do what he did.

Did he manage to do much damage to it though? From the video looks like he gave it a few bashes and then gave up?

That's what I found interesting about it, especially as the BBC have removed it from their front page so quickly.

The damage looked substantial enough, especially given the intricacy and material used. It has to be more than £5k surely. If it's not, he'll get processed through magistrates and it'll all be hush hush.

Isn't it strange that AngleEyes thinks that he is the arbiter of what should be posted by other people and complains about subjects 'being done to death'?

Isn't it strange that AngleEyes thinks that he is the arbiter of what should be posted by other people and complains about subjects 'being done to death'?

Par for the course with sanctimonious, holier than thou lefties. Shove the windbag on ignore with all his other incarnations. Life's too short to endure such drivel.

Poss ironic that the wokester in chief has now been cancelled. (y)

I'm just sick of posting the same counter arguments over and over again to the same old fallacious arguments presented by various misguided posters.
Then when so many posters keep raising the same old fallacious arguments over and over again, and I counter those tired old arguments that have been debunked so many times, I am criticised by the mods for repeating my self.
But the mods do nothing about the same old arguments being presented time and time again.

Sponsored Links
Back