Error 1003

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Guys/Gals--
Ive been getting this error for the last couple of days--never have before--but I dont understand why or what, if anything to do about it. Microsoft sent me back a "resolve" but I dont understand where I need to go to do all the steps it is stating to do.

Your computer was not able to renew its address from the network (from the DHCP server) for the network adapter with MAC address %1. The following error occurred:
%2. Your computer will continue trying to obtain an address on its own from the DHCP server.

Resolve
Start the DHCP Server service

On the DHCP server, configure the DHCP Server service to start automatically, and then start the service.

To perform these procedures, you must be a member of the Administrators group, or you must have been delegated the appropriate authority.

To configure the DHCP Server service to start automatically:

1. At the DHCP server computer, click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK.
2. Double-click DHCP Server.
3. On the General tab, in the Startup type box, click Automatic, and then click Apply.
4. Click Start, wait for the progress bar to complete, and then click OK.
5. On the File menu, click Exit.

Verify

To verify that the computer has a valid lease:

1. At the DHCP-enabled client computer, click Start, in Start Search type cmd, and then press ENTER.
2. To verify a DHCP client lease, type ipconfig /all to view lease-status information.
3. The output of the ipconfig command should show an IPv4 or IPv6 address marked "preferred."

Related Management Information

DHCP Client Lease Validity

I am running Vista in case this is something that you need to know---I also have another computer --but I hardly ever use it---

Im on a wireless network -DSL connection

I dont know what else you might need to know

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Bett

Sponsored Links
It means that the network adaptor on the PC (The client) has been unable to get an ipaddress from your router (The server).

It could be as simple as switching the router on and off, but you would need to provide more information. For example, if the PC still has an Internet connection, then you must have more than one network connection (a wired and a wireless for example) to the router.

ok
well, your reply sort of makes sense to me (thats a plus)
I do have an internet connection (which explains why I can be on here) and i can try to reset the router....by switching it off and then back on. I do have wireless and have been using a cabled connection also--because it just seems to work better when I'm using skype for example---kev and I use skype almost 24/7 so its important that if a prob does pop up, that i can nip it in the bud, so to speak, before crashes and 'stuff' happen.
What i dont understand is the resolve part--where or on what would I do all those steps it is explaining? and this is something that has just cropped up--so why now? and since it is a wireless, would it matter that there are two computers (and always have been) using the same router?
what information do you need?

For reasons yet unknown, one of your network connections is having difficulty leasing an ipaddress from the router. Sometimes wireless routers are affected by other devices (Microwaves are often a problem) and they can simply lock up. Often, switching the router off for 30 seconds and then back on will make it happy again.

As one of your network adaptors has successfully leased and ipaddress and you have a network and Internet connection, you could simply ignore the error.

If you look at Network Connections in Control panel, you will be able to see which network adaptor is having the problem. More often than not it will be the wireless one. If you use the wired connection all the time, you could simply disable the wireless one.

The MS article is assuming that you have a MS DHCP server, which you do not, so the 1st 5 steps are irrelevant. You could run the last 3 steps on your PC to verify which adaptor is getting the ip address.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Igorian!

I'l try the least invasive method first-resetting the modem--I know that "fixes" quite a few random little things.

I looked at Network settings...but :rolleyes: ...like I said I'll try resetting the modem first. To answer your question (it wasnt really a question) I could always just disable the wireless on the pc and keep it cabled...I'm not really sure why I dont :rolleyes:

I'll let you know if I have anymore probs.
(do you recall that you basically installed the wireless yourself?--youre a lifesaver)

now why couldnt MS just have said that? ...and why in the world would they 'assume' anything?

:confused: :LOL:

b

Back