Eu power regulations

Sponsored Links
So as we don't live in a democracy we could simply ban all the ways people try to heat the outside, or do without doors, and not have to listen to bleating about it being undemocratic.
To continue the quote of my post which you cut rather short....
...If you're interested in pursuing such discussions, I would suggest that you find a Political Philosophy forum ...

Kind Regards, John

Remind me who it was who introduced the topic of that mythical system known as "democracy" into this thread?

Sponsored Links
Remind me who it was who introduced the topic of that mythical system known as "democracy" into this thread?
George Orwell in his book 1984 where he talked about big brother and the "Thought Police".

Much of the suffering in the World is due to people trying to do good. Once the missionaries got into Africa there was a population explosion over 10 times the population to what there was.

If one looks at the pollution of one volcano one realises what man has done is nothing in comparison.

I will agree we should not waste power. And I also agree only governments can force manufacturers to produce items which don't waste power. When we buy items we often have no idea of the power they take until after we have them.

I have just replaced my fridge/freezer run watts 82 OK expect that, also de-frost watts 215 also expect that, but idle watts 9 now I do question why it uses 9 watts on idle? It has two little blue lights one says it's running and all is well, the other says it's on economy setting, so why does monitoring the temperature and deciding when to re-start motor or heater take 9 watts?

Over August we have not had good weather hurricane Bertha aftermath hit the UK on the 11th August since then not recorded over 14°C outside. I have no central heating running but the coolest this room has been is 19.3°C on 20th August that heat must come from items running in my house. TV, Computer, odd cup of coffee, fridge/freezer even the lights all add to the heat.

OK I own an energy meter and I can measure but once bought that is too late we need to know before we buy how much it will use. But just read this.
*Official EU-regulated test data are provided for comparison purposes and actual performance will depend on driving style, road conditions and other non-technical factors. The “Combined/weighted” fuel consumption/CO2 figures calculated from two test results: one when the battery is fully charged and the other when the battery is discharged. The two test results are a weighted average, taking into account mileage range on battery power only, providing a figure in a variety of charge conditions. Extended range achieved by 1.4 litre 16-valve VVT ECOTEC® petrol engine generating electricity.

† Official Government Test Environmental Data. Fuel consumption figures mpg (litres/100km) and CO2 emissions (g/km). Model shown Vauxhall Ampera Positiv: Urban: N/A. Extra Urban: N/A. Combined/weighted: 235.4mpg (1.2). CO2 emissions: 27g/km. Up to 360 mile range is a cumulated range from battery electric and range-extender operation, based on the respective official combined consumption figures.

One do you understand what it is saying? and Two do you really think anyone with a fully charged battery and one gallon of fuel will be able to drive 235.4 miles?

Yes you could drive 51.78 miles with one litre of fuel starting with fully charged batteries and ending with fully discharged batteries but you could not drive 235.4 miles with a gallon of fuel.

What we need is for manufacturers to be forced to give useful information about the power required to use their product but what the government has ended up doing is forcing manufacturers to give misleading information about their product because they are forced to use laid out methods of measuring.

So a test carpet of 100 sq meters with one kg of fullers earth sprinkled on it with require X kWh to remove 95% of the fullers earth. Now that would be useful. That's a real measure of power required. It does not matter if the cleaner brushes, beats or sucks up the dirt and it does not matter if the nozzle is 100 mm wide or 1000 mm wide or if motor is 100W or 3000W it's how much energy is needed to remove the dirt that is important.

I have just replaced my fridge/freezer run watts 82 OK expect that, also de-frost watts 215 also expect that, but idle watts 9 now I do question why it uses 9 watts on idle? It has two little blue lights one says it's running and all is well, the other says it's on economy setting, so why does monitoring the temperature and deciding when to re-start motor or heater take 9 watts?
Good question. I presume there is no circulating fan? Have you actually monitored this fridge to see if it really is drawing 9W when the motor/compressor is not running?
...since then not recorded over 14°C outside. I have no central heating running but the coolest this room has been is 19.3°C on 20th August that heat must come from items running in my house. TV, Computer, odd cup of coffee, fridge/freezer even the lights all add to the heat.
In addition to any resulting from electricity (and any gas) usage, some will be solar heat (even this August!) - all houses act as greenhouses to some extent (plus possibly some heat from the earth below the house). The heat output of the occupants is also very significant - if the body were 100% efficient, a person consuming 2,500 kcal of food today would put about 2.9 kWh per day into the environment in which they were - so one really needs to factor in the chemical energy of the food consumed by occupants if one wants to look properly at energy balances. As for the usage of electricity/gas itself, as you impy, virtually all of it (mainly cooking and water heating, as well as any actual space heating - but, as you say, also the totting up of all the minor loads, like lights and TVs) obviously ends up as heat within the house (before losses due to ventilation, conduction through walls/roof etc.).

Kind Regards, John

...But just read this.
*Official EU-regulated test data are provided for comparison purposes and actual performance will depend on driving style, road conditions and other non-technical factors. The “Combined/weighted” fuel consumption/CO2 figures calculated from two test results: one when the battery is fully charged and the other when the battery is discharged. The two test results are a weighted average, taking into account mileage range on battery power only, providing a figure in a variety of charge conditions. Extended range achieved by 1.4 litre 16-valve VVT ECOTEC® petrol engine generating electricity.
† Official Government Test Environmental Data. Fuel consumption figures mpg (litres/100km) and CO2 emissions (g/km). Model shown Vauxhall Ampera Positiv: Urban: N/A. Extra Urban: N/A. Combined/weighted: 235.4mpg (1.2). CO2 emissions: 27g/km. Up to 360 mile range is a cumulated range from battery electric and range-extender operation, based on the respective official combined consumption figures.
One do you understand what it is saying? and Two do you really think anyone with a fully charged battery and one gallon of fuel will be able to drive 235.4 miles? ... Yes you could drive 51.78 miles with one litre of fuel starting with fully charged batteries and ending with fully discharged batteries but you could not drive 235.4 miles with a gallon of fuel....
The problem is that it does not tell as anything like enough - and, as you suggest, the figures do seem rather 'surprising'. However, I don't think that is is quite as bad as you suggest, since the quoted mpg figure is an average of the 'fully charged battery' and 'flat battery' scenarios. For example, if the test were done over a distance which is within the capabilities of electricity-alone (no fuel usage), then to get an average (over both scenarios) of 235.4 mpg would only require 117.7 mpg (25.9 miles per litre) from fuel - but even that sounds a bit optimistic. A ,ot depends upon what sort of test drive one is talking about - fixed speed on a circuit (and, if so, what speed?), 'urban cycle' or what?
What we need is for manufacturers to be forced to give useful information about the power required to use their product but what the government has ended up doing is forcing manufacturers to give misleading information about their product because they are forced to use laid out methods of measuring.
Indeed, but we've living with that problem for decades - not the least in relation to vehicle mpg figures but, more recently, also in relation to 'energy efficiency' indicators in relation to a wide range of equipment/appliances.

Kind Regards, John

The advert also gives fuel tank size, and distance that can be travelled electric only, plus vehicle range from these figures it does 40 MPG when using petrol.

Picture of lawn mowing in Wales the old 35 was so called because that's its horse power so this lawn mower around 26kW much smaller than most lawn mowers modern one are far bigger but this clearly domestic as no role cage so can't be claimed as agricultural, neither can the school or local park as the grass is not used it's just left to rot.

However our garden waste is collected and processed by council so that is agricultural.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back