EV are they worth it?

I see one fault in your logic in that the unladen weight of the EV truck will be significantly greater, so will be causing more damage whenever running without load.

People don't often run trucks empty - there's no money in it!

Sponsored Links
People don't often run trucks empty - there's no money in it!
They have to when searching for a charging point. More empty it is, less likely the battery goes flat before reaching the charging point.

Local delivery trucks will almost always return empty to their depot: you don't get return loads from people receiving a new sofa or bed.

OK, but the trucks they use for that, are not usually 40 tonne artics! If they're using (say) a 3.5 ton van (or even a 7.5 ton Luton), and those vehicles end up going from weighing (say) 2 tonnes unladen to 2.5 tonnes unladen and (say) 4 tonnes unladen to 5 tonnes unladen, respectively, they're still doing nothing like as much road damage as an artic. We need to keep a sense of perspective here.

It strikes me that there may be a certain degree of hypocrisy, in that when supermarkets started doing online groceries and delivering them, the world wasn't up in arms about the extra road damage that would be caused by 3.5 ton delivery vehicles delivering groceries, instead of 1.5 ton private cars, bringing home the shopping!

Similarly, I don't remember anyone moaning about extra road damage when Mr. Rich Git at No. 42 buys a 2 ton Range Rover, yet they're all out there with their torches and pitchforks when Mr. Eco Warrior at No. 44 comes home in a 1.8 ton Tesla!

Sponsored Links
They have to when searching for a charging point. More empty it is, less likely the battery goes flat before reaching the charging point.
Ho Ho Ho

No

An artic driver (battery or diesel) doesn't leave their load on the roadside to gain a bit of extra fuel economy and go looking for a filling station

Particularly with battery vehicles people don't just drive them around willy nilly (unless they're some pillock youtuber making a BS anti-ev video so they can get some more likes and subscribes) then start looking for a charging point when they're down to 3%. They plan journeys, which includes charging stops. Delivery vehicle journeys are planned a lot more closely than non delivery vehicle journeys so it's not a difficult thing to add the question of "where to refuel?" In too.

Some people do that with ICEs too, so they refuel at stations known to be cheaper but by and large so many petrol stations exist that people don't have to think so much about that any more - and that's probably the problem here; because people (for example on this thread) don't think about where to refuel they likely have forgotten that it's possible to think about it, so it goes down as a negative for EVs when what it actually needs is to reactivate brain and just do a tiny bit of extra forward planning.

Imagine what it would be like for the anti EV brigade here if they lived 100 years ago.. "aww, then new fangled petrol cars are crap.. they're so slow because of the man with a red flag waking in front, and there's only like one pharmacy in the whole country you can buy the fuel from and it's so explosive, what happens if you have a bump? You'll clearly die in a fireball. And the maintenance egads, don't have to change the oil in my horse every 6 months. I can't see them catching on, not compared to a horse that can go anywhere, even off-road, and refuel at the verge any time I like"

And then petrol takes over (side note, electric would have won back then if the batteries had been better) anyway, by and large because it meant there weren't tonnes of horse poop in piles on every street corner making the place stink and causing ill health. Instead all the poisonous crap went into the air but there was so little of it it didn't matter about breathing it in

Fast forward a hundred years and "naww, me horse is the best" is now "naww, me ICE is the best" for the ignorant, but the ubiquity means there is now the equivalent of piles of poop on every corner with billions of vehicles spewing vast amounts of waste into the air we breathe, making the place stink and causing ill health. The way to deal with it has been to introduce ever tightening regulation on emissions but there's a limit to how much you can wring that sponge out..

Electric solves most problems well and the (regulation pushing) market adoption will drive innovation that solves the others.. Just like has happened with ICE over the last 100 years

EV's and EV owners are really a nuisance or trouble makers for the rest of us motorists.

We had the diesel boom, then we realised there was a problem, and it seems now it's the EV's turn, I think a hybrid is likely the answer, used a small engine to recharge the battery when one can't get it recharged for what ever reason, it does not need to be a big generator to recharge the battery, my journey jumps in stages, 2, 16, 25, 50 and then you get a few runs over the 50 mile return including holidays with 250 mile each way, if you can do the short runs without using a generator but have the option to use the generator for longer runs then the vehicles would be usable.

But we have just two charge points local, both 22 kW, and both were closed down when it was found people were abusing them, they gave the first 10 minutes I think it was free, to allow one time to set up the app, so we had people sitting in their cars unplugging and plugging back in again every 10 minutes, even when running the units are now over subscribed, so the EV owner can't plan a route as some people think they can, as you can't pre-book the charging point, you just cross your fingers it's not in use when you get there.

The whole idea is you charge while parked rather than use a filling station, so if you go to ride on a narrow gauge railway which takes 2 hours, you can leave the car charge while your enjoying yourself, however you can't leave the vehicle in a queue waiting to be charged while on that train, once crosses ones fingers.

EV's and EV owners are really a nuisance or trouble makers for the rest of us motorists.

So... tell me. How many car transporters or ferries have suffered fires that have been proven to have been started by EVs?

I think a hybrid is likely the answer
Nope. When converting hydrocarbons to electricity, then converting electricity to motive power, suffers from a double whammy of efficiency loss. A direct conversion of hydrocarbons to motive power suffers only a single efficiency loss. Hydrocarbons will remain king of efficiency until such time when electricity costs the same as natural gas.

Nope. When converting hydrocarbons to electricity, then converting electricity to motive power, suffers from a double whammy of efficiency loss. A direct conversion of hydrocarbons to motive power suffers only a single efficiency loss. Hydrocarbons will remain king of efficiency until such time when electricity costs the same as natural gas.
What a pity! You got the first bit right, but then forgot that ICEs throw more than half their fuel energy away...

So... tell me. How many car transporters or ferries have suffered fires that have been proven to have been started by EVs?
I don't know. It's at a number that is forcing governments to take action.

You're s real sucker for this kind of cobblers, aren't you? Tell me... what's the best-selling car in the world at present?
The best driving car type in the world currently, by numbers, is an ICE. The best selling car type in the world currently, by numbers, is an ICE.

What a pity! You got the first bit right, but then forgot that ICEs throw more than half their fuel energy away...
Suppose you are right (but you are not) and ICE has 50% efficiency. Electricity price is 300% of hydrocarbons. The effective efficiency of EV is only 33%. All this is before we consider the societal cost of EVs in burning down ships and car parks.

Sponsored Links
Back