EV are they worth it?

Sponsored Links
I think that's a GOOD thing. As a result of Brexit, we lost out to Germany when Tesla were looking for a battery factory site, and now Tata is offering us a second bite at that cherry. In an ideal world, we'd have some significant lithium reserves too, but fate doesn't seem to have been that kind to us on this occasion. I see no reason whatsoever, why British workers couldn't make batteries that are every bit as good as German, French or Chinese workers.

For too long, we have watched European industries steal a march on us. I think it's pretty obvious that we're (the West in general, not just GB), headed for a trade war with China on EVs. Right now, the trade agreement with the EU requires a minimum percentage of UK-sourced content in a car. As the battery is such a big proportion of the total value of an EV, that's a hard target to achieve when the battery comes from China. The only ways round that, would be to either import a battery from the EU and fit it to the car (in which case, they're so expensive to ship, that the car manufacturers will probably just decide to build the whole car in the EU), or build the batteries here.

It would be more accurate to say "currently economically-viable lithium reserves".

It'll happen (y)

40GWh of cells a year is a full sized factory, great news.

But it isn't the largest planned. Tesla Giga factory Berlin is designed to produce 50GWh and should be starting to produce them this year. Northvolt is already in full flow and is going up to 60GWh. I think they've got another three of the same size planned or in progress.
The plans announced at that point – including Tata’s 40 gigawatt-hour (GWh) plant – were enough to cover only about half the 100 GWh of production the UK would need by 2030.

Is that a great deal?
I don't know how much power will be required to furnish the industry with enough energy that supplies a growing ownership of EVs by 2035.

40GWh of cells a year is a full sized factory, great news.

But it isn't the largest planned. Tesla Giga factory Berlin is designed to produce 50GWh and should be starting to produce them this year. Northvolt is already in full flow and is going up to 60GWh. I think they've got another three of the same size planned or in progress.

It's a start. If it actually comes to anything (and Tata have a very real incentive to make it work), others will follow. British investors have lost their Victorian farsightedness and appetite for risk. Once they see it working, they'll pony-up for more. I'd much rather £500M of my taxes went to something that was in with a chance of working, than £100M of it, to a company that didn't...

Sponsored Links

It would be more accurate to say "currently economically-viable lithium reserves".

It'll happen (y)

I certainly hope so, but lithium needs to get more expensive for it to work. Australia currently have it sewn-up, with massive reserves. The USA has just found an extinct volcano full of the stuff. Some Latin American countries have reserves that are economical to harvest, but at terrible environmental and social cost, thanks to poor regulation by the governments concerned. Ultimately, if the scientific press are to be believed, lithium is only a stopgap until sodium batteries are up and running.

What I'd also like to see, is a few more British lithium battery recycling plants. One of the biggest environmental advantages of EVs, is that all the lithium they left the factory with, is still there when they get scrapped.

I certainly hope so, but lithium needs to get more expensive for it to work. Australia currently have it sewn-up, with massive reserves. The USA has just found an extinct volcano full of the stuff. Some Latin American countries have reserves that are economical to harvest, but at terrible environmental and social cost, thanks to poor regulation by the governments concerned. Ultimately, if the scientific press are to be believed, lithium is only a stopgap until sodium batteries are up and running.

What I'd also like to see, is a few more British lithium battery recycling plants. One of the biggest environmental advantages of EVs, is that all the lithium they left the factory with, is still there when they get scrapped.
There aren't enough EV batteries dying to make recycling viable yet. They're lasting too long so while we're building 15 million a year world wide we're probably only scrapping half a million or less.

There aren't enough EV batteries dying to make recycling viable yet. They're lasting too long so while we're building 15 million a year world wide we're probably only scrapping half a million or less.

Yes, absolutely true, of course. The bloody things are just lasting too long - despite the naysayers! Even when they're not good enough for EVs, they're being snapped up by wind farms and football stadia for use as energy storage!

And how much will it cost to provide access to these magic cables, oh spouter of far fetched aspirations? Must be millions of miles of cables buried in Bristol, but never noticed any that have made it above ground for charging cars. Or have I not been down that particular alley?

So they don't have these in Bristol, then?

20200523_160328.jpg

...or these

IMG_1055.JPG

...or these

Nissan recharging.JPG

...or these

20240227_165937.jpg

So they don't have these in Bristol, then?

View attachment 334747

...or these

View attachment 334748

...or these

View attachment 334750

...or these

View attachment 334751

To quote my post -

"but never noticed any that have made it above ground for charging cars."

So I didn't say there weren't any did I, just that I have never seen them. You need to work on your comprehension. And geography.

And how long has Hampstead been in Bristol????? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Most, if not all, of the other photos are London too. So you used photos of London streets to prove there are pavement charging points in Bristol??? Brilliant!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

And Avocet unquestioningly dived in and backed up this nonsense. :rolleyes: Anyway, thanks for the entertainment. Not had such a laugh in a long time. :giggle:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
To quote my post -

So I didn't say there weren't any did I, just that I have never seen them. You need to work on your comprehension.

And how long has Hampstead been in Bristol????? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Most, if not all, of the other photos are London too. So you used photos of London streets to prove there are pavement charging points in Bristol??? Brilliant!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

And Avocet unquestioningly dived in and backed up your nonsense too. :rolleyes: Anyway, thanks for the entertainment. Not had such a laugh in a long time. :giggle:

So... what happens if someone tries to install a kerbside charger outside London, then? Do they explode? The point is, kerbside charging solutions are available. Yes, there are bound to be more of them in London, because... well... there are more EVs in London (d'uh). :rolleyes: But they do have lamp posts in Bristol, and those lamp posts do have electricity in them...

Just wait untill someone trips over one of those coiled flexes bangs their head and dies, mahoosive claim for damages to the council or whoever ownes the charging point and also possibly the insurer of the vehicle, then insurance premiums through the roof.

Just wait untill someone trips over one of those coiled flexes bangs their head and dies, mahoosive claim for damages to the council or whoever ownes the charging point and also possibly the insurer of the vehicle, then insurance premiums through the roof.

Other countries seem to manage... :rolleyes:

200 years ago, people were saying "just wait until someone goes over 30 MPH in one of these newfangled steam engines - they'll spontaneously combust"!

Perhaps, in the 1950s, you'd have been objecting to the emerging "self-service" filling stations? "Just just wait until someone burns to death, using one of those newfangled self-service petrol pumps"!

Maybe, at the turn of the millennium, you might have said "just wait until someone's mobile phone goes off in a service station and it all blows up"?

Other countries seem to manage... :rolleyes:

200 years ago, people were saying "just wait until someone goes over 30 MPH in one of these newfangled steam engines - they'll spontaneously combust"!

Perhaps, in the 1950s, you'd have been objecting to the emerging "self-service" filling stations? "Just just wait until someone burns to death, using one of those newfangled self-service petrol pumps"!

Maybe, at the turn of the millennium, you might have said "just wait until someone's mobile phone goes off in a service station and it all blows up"?

In fairness, algas makes a good point.

Your counters are not so good, IMHO: times were much, much different back then.
Our appetite for risk is much lower nowadays and our appetite for compensation, much greater.

Stringing trip hazards across pedestrian access is inviting issues.

And you still are told off - via the forecourt PA system - if you use your mobile (regardless of it being of negligible risk to anyone or anything).

In fairness, algas makes a good point.

Your counters are not so good, IMHO: times were much, much different back then.
Our appetite for risk is much lower nowadays and our appetite for compensation, much greater.

Stringing trip hazards across pedestrian access is inviting issues.

And you still are told off - via the forecourt PA system - if you use your mobile (regardless of it being of negligible risk to anyone or anything).

The point of the examples was more to illustrate that things people worried about happening with new technologies, didn't end up happening. One was just complete superstitious nonsense, the next was a real risk, but properly mitigated against, and the last was a perceived risk with a grain of truth to it, that has since been debunked. (But yes, I certainly accept that if they DID happen, we'd be much more likely to sue these days).

What I generally find, is that with new technologies, it's the things that nobody thought about which tend to bite you in the ar5e. I was in Berlin for a meeting a year or so ago, and walked down streets where they had kerbside bollards and plenty of EVs plugged into them. Some folk had obviously shelled-out for shorter charging leads that just went from the bollard to the charging socket. Absolutely impossible to trip over, as they were at about waist height and between the bollard on the kerb and the side of the vehicle. Other folk were using the full length leads that came with the car, and these were just in the gutter between the car's sill and the kerb. Again, really quite hard to see how anyone could trip over one.

If we can put a man on the moon and carry out brain surgery with lasers, I reckon mankind will be able to nail this insurmountable problem too...

So... what happens if someone tries to install a kerbside charger outside London, then? Do they explode? The point is, kerbside charging solutions are available. Yes, there are bound to be more of them in London, because... well... there are more EVs in London (d'uh). :rolleyes: But they do have lamp posts in Bristol, and those lamp posts do have electricity in them...

All totally irrelevant. Yes, definitely confirm presence of one or two lamposts in Bristol. Some may also have been converted from town gas. The argument was I had never seen any street charging points here. Chainsaw thought he would be clever, try to say I was saying there weren't any street charge points (I didn't) - then use London pictures to show that street charging points exist in Bristol. Trying to be clever obviously isn't his strong point.

Then you dived in with a like for his post containing mis-informations and falsehoods - which must be a little embarrasing for you. Your question about someone trying to install street chargers outside London which may explode??????? Perhaps you could explain the relevance of that one, but not to me please. I've already wasted enough time exposing the chicanery and farcical utterings of Chainsaw.

Sponsored Links
Back