EV are they worth it?

Just wait untill someone trips over one of those coiled flexes bangs their head and dies, mahoosive claim for damages to the council or whoever ownes the charging point and also possibly the insurer of the vehicle, then insurance premiums through the roof.

If you or I wanted to regularly run cables over pavements, the council H&S Nazis would be down on us like a ton of bricks. But the council themselves want to do it with the intention of saving the planet - suddenly it's no problem.

Just another preposterous, unworkable aspect of EVs.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Other countries seem to manage... :rolleyes:

200 years ago, people were saying "just wait until someone goes over 30 MPH in one of these newfangled steam engines - they'll spontaneously combust"!

Yet again, more garbage nonsensical arguments. (They're coming thick and fast today :rolleyes: )

Real people do actually trip over real cables left lying on the ground. No one has ever spontaneously combusted by travelling 30 mph or even 300mph.

Next!!

Just wait untill someone trips over one of those coiled flexes bangs their head and dies, mahoosive claim for damages to the council or whoever ownes the charging point and also possibly the insurer of the vehicle, then insurance premiums through the roof.

I hope my wheels don't get snagged in the cables when I'm cycling on the pavement. :eek:

[Lefties/EV zealots - Hint, it's only a joke.]

Yet again, more garbage nonsensical arguments. (They're coming thick and fast today :rolleyes: )

Real people do actually trip over real cables left lying on the ground. No one has ever spontaneously combusted by travelling 30 mph or even 300mph.

Next!!

FFS! I really wonder how we managed to win two world wars with snowflake "can't-do" attitudes like yours! Never mind, don't you worry your overwrought little brain cell over it. Someone a bit less useless will come along and solve this "insoluble" problem for you, so you can think of some other BS reason why EVs could never possibly work... :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
FFS! I really wonder how we managed to win two world wars with snowflake "can't-do" attitudes like yours! Never mind, don't you worry your overwrought little brain cell over it. Someone a bit less useless will come along and solve this "insoluble" problem for you, so you can think of some other BS reason why EVs could never possibly work... :rolleyes:

Jeez! Are you totally dense? We're talking about the situation now. Chainsaw's pictures are now, not in year 2175. Open your closed eyes, look at his images - there are cables loosely trailing over the road and pavements. Even with no brain cells, is it impossible for you to see this as a big hazard? Especially at night? To blind/partially sighted people?

No, you probably still can't get it. You're so hell bent on trying to dig yourself out of the embarrasing, excrement-filled hole you dug for yourself thanking Chainsaw's patently ridiculous posts and coming back with even more ludicrous arguments that don't hold water. Just stop digging, you're only making it worse for yourself. Embarrasing!

Anyway, that's it for me. I think most others can see you have showcased your own stupidity on a public forum. With you, I can't fix stupid, so we'll leave it with you to humiliate yourself even more. Goodbye.

The promotional picture looks great 1709138862850.png but in real life that cable is often a tangled mess, and the charge point is right outside the personal exit door, and I know I have walked out with an arm full of stuff so you can't see the floor right next to the door, and got the cables tangled up in my legs, as yet not fallen, but it is an accident waiting to happen.

Yes if the EV charge point were at the far end of car park where no one is likely to walk, the hazard is minimal. But that means longer cables to the charge points, so they tend to be close to buildings.
There is nothing to stop the use of covers 1709139304568.jpeg and if covers are used great, but the problem is covers are in the main not used. It is not really anything to do with having EV's or not, it can just as easy be a window cleaning hose pipe, or a broken slab, but the inconsiderate actions of a minority is likely to cause problems down the line.

Jeez! Are you totally dense? We're talking about the situation now. Chainsaw's pictures are now, not in year 2175. Open your closed eyes, look at his images - there are cables loosely trailing over the road and pavements. Even with no brain cells, is it impossible for you to see this as a big hazard? Especially at night? To blind/partially sighted people?

No, you probably still can't get it. You're so hell bent on trying to dig yourself out of the embarrasing, excrement-filled hole you dug for yourself thanking Chainsaw's patently ridiculous posts and coming back with even more ludicrous arguments that don't hold water. Just stop digging, you're only making it worse for yourself. Embarrasing!

Anyway, that's it for me. I think most others can see you have showcased your own stupidity on a public forum. With you, I can't fix stupid, so we'll leave it with you to humiliate yourself even more. Goodbye.

There, there... you let it all out... (I feel like a parent watching a toddler having its tantrum here...).

I've already given you examples of how the trip hazard can be (and is) managed, but no, you want to believe that there are going to be snake-like writhing cables all over the place, actively grabbing at peoples' ankles... :rolleyes: But hey, maybe they don't have blind, or partially-sighted people in Germany... or "night", come to that...:ROFLMAO:. You got one thing right though. I DON'T see it as a big hazard.

Say your piece. It's a free country , and that means you're free to make a complete ar5e of yourself bigging-up a pretty trivial problem out of all proportion to reality. 10 years from now, I doubt you'll have the self-awareness to even remember how insurmountable you were telling everyone it was...

I DON'T see it as a big hazard.
That is the problem, one does not see the hazard until too late. But there should be a pavement clear enough for a wheel chair to use, simple.

If a car or anything connected to the car, prevents a wheel chair user using the pavement, that is clearly wrong, and have been out with my mother who was an amputee so always used a wheel chair or mobility scooter, I know the problems when one car stop one using a drop pavement, and one has to try and reverse up to the last one.

It means the users go on the road, not only when there is a car poorly parked, but all the time specially around corners, as it is so hard to reverse up. But it is not only EV users, people park their cars where there is a space, and councils are not good at ensuring there are drop pavements where required. Where I live a wheel chair/mobility scooter user has to travel on the road as when the pavement ends there is no ramp for them to leave the pavement.

And I am guilty, I will park my car on the road in winter, so I can be sure I can get out, I leave as much room on the pavement as the grit bin leaves, so if the user can get around the council grit bin, they can also get around my car. Summer I park on my parking area, I can have four cars parked with ease, but on a steep hill, so can't get out with snow or ice.

But this is nothing to do with being an electric car or not, if anything an electric car makes it better, as one has to get it to a charge point so can't just park it where one wants.

I have never tried, but I assume the lead is in some way locked into to the socket so only the owner can remove it? One would not want it where some one could steal the lead, or unplug it so they could charge their car instead?

To quote my post -

So I didn't say there weren't any did I, just that I have never seen them. You need to work on your comprehension. And geography.

And how long has Hampstead been in Bristol????? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Most, if not all, of the other photos are London too. So you used photos of London streets to prove there are pavement charging points in Bristol??? Brilliant!!! :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

And Avocet unquestioningly dived in and backed up this nonsense. :rolleyes: Anyway, thanks for the entertainment. Not had such a laugh in a long time. :giggle:

:LOL::LOL::LOL:
Wow. This would appear a wild over-reaction to my comment. Of course the area shown is not Bristol. In fact, as the super-sleuth that you clearly are, you have managed to pin-point the precise location. Well done, you.

To develop the point, the first three photos depict chargers that were probably installed three, maybe four years ago. The last one is more recent but I could no put a date to it. This whole part of North West London is particularly well served by a pretty decent public transport system and, given that this is the case, it surprises me that the number of EV chargers is already so prevalent. By the same token then, would it not appear reasonable to expect that in areas where there is less PT availability, namely Bristol, has at the very least a commensurate ratio of street chargers as here? Bristol is quite a thriving place, after all, is it not.

I am not attempting to make assumptions about your city, as I do not live there, but it does strike me as seemingly odd that these "magic cables" are a phenomena that you have never noticed, whereas they have become a very regular part of the street furniture in this locale.

To cap off, I am currently an ICE vehicle owner, so to all intents and purposes do not really have any 'skin in the game' and remain relatively unaffected by EV chargers - their numerous presence or otherwise.

That is the problem, one does not see the hazard until too late. But there should be a pavement clear enough for a wheel chair to use, simple.

If a car or anything connected to the car, prevents a wheel chair user using the pavement, that is clearly wrong, and have been out with my mother who was an amputee so always used a wheel chair or mobility scooter, I know the problems when one car stop one using a drop pavement, and one has to try and reverse up to the last one.

It means the users go on the road, not only when there is a car poorly parked, but all the time specially around corners, as it is so hard to reverse up. But it is not only EV users, people park their cars where there is a space, and councils are not good at ensuring there are drop pavements where required. Where I live a wheel chair/mobility scooter user has to travel on the road as when the pavement ends there is no ramp for them to leave the pavement.

And I am guilty, I will park my car on the road in winter, so I can be sure I can get out, I leave as much room on the pavement as the grit bin leaves, so if the user can get around the council grit bin, they can also get around my car. Summer I park on my parking area, I can have four cars parked with ease, but on a steep hill, so can't get out with snow or ice.

But this is nothing to do with being an electric car or not, if anything an electric car makes it better, as one has to get it to a charge point so can't just park it where one wants.

I have never tried, but I assume the lead is in some way locked into to the socket so only the owner can remove it? One would not want it where some one could steal the lead, or unplug it so they could charge their car instead?

I don't think anyone would disagree with that? I work with wheelchair-accessible vehicles, so wheelchair accessibility is something I come across every day. In fact, there's even a British standard for accessible EV charging points. (Not that I've seen many that appear to comply)!

That's why I'm keen on kerbside chargers, like the ones in Chainsaw masochist's photos. That way, there aren't any leads trailing across the pavement.

(And yes, the leads automatically lock into their sockets before charging can begin).

but it does strike me as seemingly odd that these "magic cables" are a phenomena that you have never noticed, whereas they have become a very regular part of the street furniture in this locale.

Why would it strike you as "odd", that London gets the lion's share of investment?
It's par for the course (y)

And in Germany are the lawyers "ambulance chasers" as they seem to be here, despite Camorons pledge to reign them in

Sponsored Links
Back