Everyone has opinions!

Reaction score
Country
United States
with that said.....no harm done, right?

WRONG. these same 'people' who hold high ranking positions and have the power to pass laws can do a great deal of harm in all of our lives. 'They' can decide that if by some remote possibility, a commercial of a robot committing suicide (because it has been replaced by American craftmanship and is no longer needed...joke in there somewhere) will somehow influence a human being to end his/her life, they "pull" it....
Legislation being written to discourage or prohibit any form of behavior or lifestyle that 'they' dont see as being proper or necessary.
When it comes right down to it, what real difference is there between our two countries? ....except for the obvious....

rant over :mad:

Sponsored Links
You have far superior burgers and your steaks (ribeye in particular) are to die for.

I think British humour is better (but I guess I'm biased) ... We share equally incompetent political leaders though ;)

They're not without use, however ... If they stood back to back they'd make a good pair of bookends :LOL:

Many of these stupid decisions have arisen as a result of the threat of litigation ...

This definitely originated with our good friends across the Atlantic :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I think most politicians, as a greater help to society, should be buried with their backsides sticking out of the ground so we have more places to park our bikes..... now thats doing something for the country....

Violent crime is high Stateside, but I fear we are slowly catching up.

Debate - to arm British cops or not??

securespark said:

I have heard this one debated alot, and it is a very difficult one to call.

My personal opinion is that if every police officer is armed than an awful lot more criminals will arm themselves too, with can only be a bad thing.

I can see the neccesity to have some armed police officers, and these officers are highly trained, perhaps to a higher of skill level than if every police officer was trained in firearms.

So, no do not arm all police officers.

securespark said:

I wouldnt know where to start with that one. It's all I've ever known.(cops having guns) If the opposite were to be debated, I would be interested in hearing views about how it would be brought about and what kind of domino effect it would have. I would think that once it started, it would have to be a permanent commitment....once guns(and I know there are SOME there)are allowed....police arent the only ones with them. vicious circle. ;)

securespark said:

Give them 'legs' and place them on the streets.

I was recently in New York, quite amazed at the number of uniforms at large .. (some not large at all) ... Approached several for information very helpful people in each case.

:cool:

securespark said:

Not until we can get past the fact that every time they shoot somebody they get suspended and critiscised.

The police force needs to stop being a customer service organisation and get back to bread and butter policing. The courts need to stop being soft on people and the prison service should stop releasing people to make space - build more prisons or cell share (office workers are expected to share desks...)

The civil courts need to get a case of common sense, litigation for small, stupid things should be thrown out as time wasting.

Burglars suing householders for injuries sustained on the premises/in a struggle. People running from the police suing for injuries sustained during arrest (rugby tackles/dog bites etc).

World gone mad.

BoxBasher said:
Not until we can get past the fact that every time they shoot somebody they get suspended and critiscised.
No not every time, just when they shoot innocent people, although that seems to be getting an alarming regular occurence.
Arm the police and what guarantee is there that an individual might not use the weapon against better judgement and then try to justify it by saying he was acting in self defence.

The police do get it wrong as has been seen on many occassions , once an innocent person has been shot dead the desicion cannot be reversed.
this is one of the main reasons why hanging was abolished.

What worries me with police attitude these days is the arrogant stance of shoot first ask questions later this "we are only protecting our own" attitude is a dangerous excuse to justify going around shooting people.

Ok their job may sometimes be dangerous but there is safety in numbers and boy do the police go over the top on occasion with numbers, just look how many were involved in the incident at stockwell, what with officers parading around as though they owned the place, they love all the attention it brings from the public, the cameras and all.

Sponsored Links
Back