Expanded ULEZ

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While walking my dog round to my allotment this morning, I noticed the amount of cars parked on peoples drives and in traffic to see how many of them will have to pay the expanded ULEZ when it comes in in August next year. Basically pre 2016 diesel cars and vans. I lost count after a few dozen - there is an awful lot of them. Quite a few are small businesses and they are going to suffer. Bloody Khan!

Sponsored Links
It doesn't make much sense to me. My 435d complies and the other half's 116d doesn't. Both are the same age.

A few years ago, my daughter bought a Renault Master. The place she got it from had 2, one a 16 reg and a 66 reg, which she bought due to ulez. Both vans had exactly the same euro standard and emissions noted on the V5, one was ulez compliant, the other wasn't. One thing that I found out, my friend has an old car which isn't compliant, he doesn't live here but visits his kid and grandchild regularly. His wife is disabled, and he said that the government could pay his road tax, and that if they did, he would be exempt from ulez charges.

I think I might have to get rid of our diesel Golf and get a compliant vehicle sooner rather than later. As the date gets nearer, the prices of non-compliant vehicles will fall and the price of compliant vehicles will rise. I can see a point when a 2001 petrol Focus will be worth more than a 2016 diesel Discovery Sport! I'm just glad I got rid of our Evoque last year!

I'm just going to get an old petrol hatchback as it will only be for running the dog about in and for use as a second car - its great when you can just park it anywhere in a car park and not give a **** about anyone hitting the doors with a shopping trolley or catching the bumper when they squeeze in or out of a space.

Sponsored Links
I don't know why the mad rush to force older vehicles out of cities, except obviously money and a need for vain, vacuous politicians to highlight their green credentials. The less environmentally cars will naturally start rapidly decreasing in numbers as they age and are replaced with cleaner cars. Now they're expanding the zone, they won't stop there. As the take from charging vehicles dwindles, they'll raise the bar and drag newer, cleaner vehicles into the net.

Bristol's Ulezzer zone is only a week old and only covers quite a small, central area - but they're already talking of expanding it. There is no escape in rip off Britain.

The less environmentally
The problem is that most people see air quality as the environment, they don't take into account mining of the minerals and other factors in building new "environmentally friendly" cars, which are more than likely as damaging as old existing ice vehicles, if not more.

Car on't box the other day, Hannah Fry's prog I think, which is solar powered. It'll do something like 50 miles on a day's charge in the sun, so no need for anything say in Spain, for a commuter. It wasn't a micro car, either.
As tech get better, I guess the "enough sun" line will move north. Hey we need the climate to change!

I can imagine parking places with sun reflectors above them, or wierd constructions on car roofs. "Dormobile" comes to mind.

Quite funny when Hannah bent it and the MAN drove her back - in complete silence.

Car on't box the other day, Hannah Fry's prog I think, which is solar powered. It'll do something like 50 miles on a day's charge in the sun, so no need for anything say in Spain, for a commuter. It wasn't a micro car, either.
As tech get better, I guess the "enough sun" line will move north. Hey we need the climate to change!

I can imagine parking places with sun reflectors above them, or wierd constructions on car roofs. "Dormobile" comes to mind.

Quite funny when Hannah bent it and the MAN drove her back - in complete silence.
I had a car with a solar panel in the roof, it powered a fan to keep the car cool when it was parked.

Cobblers! It's your good ol' Labour Party stooge fleecing his poorer supporters.

"The mayor's decision…"
reduction targets were set by this government under the 2021 environment act which inlcuded the targets set by the clean air strategy 2019

"This focuses on resolving the most immediate air quality challenge, which is nitrogen dioxide concentrations around roads, to ensure we meet our statutory air quality limits. A total of 28 local authorities were directed to produce plans to tackle NO2 exceedances. These had the most persistent exceedances and were required to consider introducing a charging Clean Air Zone. A further 35 had to develop plans to tackle shorter term exceedances."

• The Clean Air Strategy was published in January 2019, and welcomed by the World Health Organisation as “an example for the rest of the world to follow”. It sets out the comprehensive action required across all parts of government to meet our legally binding targets to reduce emissions of five key pollutants, fine particulate matter (PM2.5), sulphur oxides (SOx), nitrogen oxides (NOx), ammonia (NH3) and non-methane volatile organic compounds (NMVOCs), by 2020 and 2030, and secure significant public health benefits. This includes action to reduce emissions from a range of sources, including domestic solid fuel combustion, agriculture, and industrial sources. The Strategy also made a commitment to bring forward primary legislation on clean air, delivered in the Environment Bill.

Sponsored Links
Back