Expanding foam

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. I had a gap on my new build extension. The gap is where the plastic upvc cladding is and there is like a 10cm gap between the brick wall upto the plastic part. Should I fill the whole gap from start to finish with expanding foam? Mice are going in and out because its open and I want to stop this. Thats the entry they are getting because I can hear them dropping in my living room ceiling

Sponsored Links
Its a bit like this picture here but this ones fully sealed. Imagine a 10cm gap from the wall outwards
3EAC5D68-DBF4-4CC0-8E74-FB2D758A7170.jpeg

Sponsored Links
How high is it? I think foam would be tricky and messy. It'll fall out before it sets, expand over the upvc and brick as it set etc.

Do what noseall says

How high is it? I think foam would be tricky and messy. It'll fall out before it sets, expand over the upvc and brick as it set etc.

Do what noseall says
Sorry I meant 50mm gap. My mistake. Would expanding foam be okay for this? Also I have lost contact with the builder that did the extension. Had a disagreement with him and lost contacts. I would be able to get another builder though

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/expanding-foam.585981/#ixzz7JfRM5WvV

Ex-foam will fill all manner of gaps, holes nooks and crannies. Foam does not like gravity though and has a propensity to fall out of large gaps, especially if the surfaces are dry or friable. It's rather indiscriminate too, so any spaces or ducts that are deliberately left for venting or preventing damp should be considered.

Ex-foam will fill all manner of gaps, holes nooks and crannies. Foam does not like gravity though and has a propensity to fall out of large gaps, especially if the surfaces are dry or friable. It's rather indiscriminate too, so any spaces or ducts that are deliberately left for venting or preventing damp should be considered.
I used expanding foam near the same place, there was a massive hole, i filled that up and it dried up without any problem. Just need to trim that foam down. Will most likely put foam along the gap aswell to stop rodents from entering in. Its su frustrating because they invade your personal places and make you jump

I used expanding foam near the same place, there was a massive hole, i filled that up and it dried up without any problem. Just need to trim that foam down. Will most likely put foam along the gap aswell to stop rodents from entering in. Its su frustrating because they invade your personal places and make you jump
Get a cat and keep it hungry.

I would get some flat upvc trim and glue it rather than try expanding foam.

It will look better, not block any airflow and mice will just chew through expanding foam

I would get some flat upvc trim and glue it rather than try expanding foam.

It will look better, not block any airflow and mice will just chew through expanding foam
I have some expanding foam in another area. They haven’t chewed this

If you insist on using the foam, pack the gap with wire wool and then foam. It'll stop the mice chewing through. But foam will look awful. The PVC trim is a much better idea

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back