expansion tank overflowing problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i have a siezed gate valve in line to the bottom of the expantion tank, this pipe is overflowing the ball cock valve setting and thus overflowing, i believe i need to replace this siezed valve but what position do i need this to be in closed or not once fitted?

[/b]

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
shouldnt be a valve in the line to the expansion tank
and if there was it wont be the cause of an overflow :rolleyes:

I can feel water pressure coming from this pipe at the bottom of the tank

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
and the system is
gravity hot water ?
fully pumped y plan or s plan ?
1 tank or 2 in the loft ?

hot water gravity, 2 in loft, what is y and s plan?, the pump is however mouned upside down!

which tank is overflowing, the big one or the little one?

Have you just had a new pump fitted or made any other changes to the system that started the overflowing problem?

brumylad said:
which tank is overflowing, the big one or the little one?

Have you just had a new pump fitted or made any other changes to the system that started the overflowing problem?

little one, had new pump fitted recently, grundfos ups 15-60 on top speed

(sorry I was a bit slow writting this post now I'm out of date)

Doh !

First thing, try turning the pump to the middle or lowest setting.

DO NOT close the gate valve.

Other possibilities: Are you sure the float controled valve in the expansion tank is not dripping, it sounds like the volume of water in the expansion tank is to great and overflows when the water expands as it heats up?

try running the system with cold water (boiler turned off) and see what happens then.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back