Expansion tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I replaced the float valve in my Central Heating expansion tank a couple of weeks ago.
I would say the water level is about half way up the tank.
I have been reading this forum off and on ever since and am becoming more and more paranoid that the level of water may not be correct and i'm going to knacker my whole system.
Reassurance from a professional would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Get one of those security cameras and rig it in the loft, then watch the water on TV when the ads. are on :idea: ...after an answer like that do you believe I`m a pro.....well do ya :?: It`s fine like that ......or is it :LOL: :cool:

Get one of those security cameras and rig it in the loft, then watch the water on TV when the ads. are on :idea: ...after an answer like that do you believe I`m a pro.....well do ya :?: It`s fine like that ......or is it :LOL: :cool:
Er,thanks,i think. :D :(

the level has to be higher than the outlet pipe, but the more space there is in the tank, the better, as it gives room for expansion when the system heats up.

It does not need a great volume of water, since the valve will top it up if it drops.

So if you adjust the float to a couple of inches depth above the outlet pipe, that will be plenty. No need to bale out the water that's already in it (unless you have a layer of sludge, which is better cleaned out to prevent it getting down into the system)

Look out for any signs that water is being pumped out of the vent pipe (the big one bent over the F&E) as this is undesirable.

I am not a plumber, just a sensible housholder.

Sponsored Links
the level has to be higher than the outlet pipe, but the more space there is in the tank, the better, as it gives room for expansion when the system heats up.

It does not need a great volume of water, since the valve will top it up if it drops.

So if you adjust the float to a couple of inches depth above the outlet pipe, that will be plenty. No need to bale out the water that's already in it (unless you have a layer of sludge, which is better cleaned out to prevent it getting down into the system)

Look out for any signs that water is being pumped out of the vent pipe (the big one bent over the F&E) as this is undesirable.

I am not a plumber, just a sensible housholder.

Thanks John,i'll check it out Friday afternoon when i make my,what is currently weekly,visit to the loft.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back