expansion /vent pipe problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When we moved into our house there was an old Potterton Neatheat 10/16 boiler which eventually gave up on us and an Ideal Class installed in it's place (that done professionally), this was about 8 years ago.

One thing we are suffering with right now is the constant need to bleed the radiators despite my having flushed them prior to putting in fresh inhibitor last month. I read on this site about checking to see if your vent pipe into the F&E tank is sucking in air, so I did a test and found that what mine did was initially blow bubbles into the jar of water, then it sucked a small amount of the water back out - only an ounce or so.

On digging out the boiler instructions I not that the diagram for the open vent system states that the height between the water level in the F&E tanks and the top of the bend on the vent/expansion pipe should be at least 450mm (18") on checking mine it is only 16" and I can't take it any higher because the slope on the roof is too close to the pipe as it is now!

Questions:

1. what are the implications of the vent pipe not being high enough over the water level - could this be my problem?

2. Can I extend the height of this pipe by installing a longer necked piece that has a bend in it sufficiently to follow the slope of the roof, thus making it higher?

3. The boiler manual suggests for 'low head' installation, a surge arrester be incorporated into the vent - I'm not sure what one is but can't find a reference to one in any plumbers merchants on-line stores, are they still available is (2) if not acceptable?

Sponsored Links
14" is so close to 16" as to be irrelevant.

Nothing wrong with the jam jar test either IF that's when heating is started and stopped and not whilst running.

More to the point what is water level in F&E tank?

Can you post a photo of it?

Tony

Thanks for the reply.

It is purely at start-up that we get this slight blow then suction.

The water level in the tank is about 4 -5 inches deep and even though it was cleaned out with Fernox F5 and flushed out just 9 weeks ago, the water looks rather murky.

Strange that the boiler manufacturer didn't stipulate an min/max relating to F&E water level.

Can't really do a photo, its in a dark place and my phone doesn't have a flash

Boilers are expected to be installed by a competent person who will know what is required.

If that is cold then its a little too high. About 70mm to 100mm cold is best and will rise about 50mm-80mm when hot.

There could always be some air getting sucked in from a leaking fitting on the suction side of the pump.

Tony

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back