Expansion Vessel Fitting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

The expansion vessel on our sealed hot water system has just broken free from it's wall bracket. This wasn't due to a fault with the system just a really cheap and nasty bracket.

Anyway, the expansion vessel wasn't in a very good location before so I thought I'd take this opportunity to move it but it occured to me that orientation might matter. It was installed with the braided tube going up into the bottom at the moment it's sitting on the floor "upside down" and everything is working fine.

I've searched this forum and there seems to be no consensus as to whether the expansion vessel needs to be the right way up or not. I'm going to go one step further and ask if it would be ok to install it on it's side? As it's just a balloon in a tank I can't see any particular reason why orientation would matter it just wouldn't feel right.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
You will find each expansion vessel manufacturer has a different opinion as to the position. As you say it makes little difference and most boiler vessels are mounted sideways. Far more important is regular checking of the vessels air pressure see FAQ's. Just make sure you can access the schrader valve.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back